Student on house arrest after car crash

University of Miami student Ivanna Villanueva, 19, was involved in a fatal car crash early Sunday morning at the intersection of LeJeune Road and Majorca Avenue.

At around 4:30 a.m., Villanueva was driving south on LeJeune Road between 80 and 85 mph when she slammed into 68-year-old Eyder Ayala’s vehicle, according to police reports.

Ayala’s trunk was pushed toward the car’s front seats. She sustained fatal injuries, including extensive trauma to her forehead, and was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident. Villanueva was not injured.

Villanueva went before a judge on Monday morning, and was charged with vehicular homicide and driving in a reckless manner.

However, she could face additional charges because, according to police reports, she said she consumed alcohol while at a club earlier that night. Her blood alcohol level was tested at the scene of the accident and the results are pending.

She was released from jail on  $50,000 bond and is now on house arrest. However, Villanueva is allowed to attend classes.

Dean of Students Ricardo Hall would not comment on Villanueva’s case.

Her family released the following statement to the media: “The Villanueva family is exceedingly saddened by the events of this past Sunday and Ivanna Villanueva is grief stricken over the tragic accident. Everyone in the family wishes to convey their deepest sympathies to the Ayala family at this very, very sad time.”

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...