Stop procrastinating, start working

Everyone does it constantly. As much as we enjoy it, we tend to feel pretty bad about ourselves after the fact.

Yes, I’m talking about Facebook and Sporcle and StumbleUpon and eating and tweeting and anything else that ultimately boils down to procrastination. We do anything and everything except what we’re supposed to be doing.

Ninety-five percent of people are prone to procrastination, 20 percent of which are chronic procrastinators, according to Psychology Today.

The etymology of “procrastination” directly translates to “belonging to tomorrow,” so your essay can totally wait until later, right? Nope!

There’s no way to cure procrastination — it’s a decision that you yourself have to make and stick with.

Creating a to-do list and tackling the hardest task first will allow you to prioritize and stick to one assignment at a time.

Taking mini-breaks (but only mini!) between each task will provide incentive to complete your tasks.

Finally, don’t overthink assignments. If you have reasons A, B and C for why you absolutely cannot get your essay done, you’re not going to get anywhere. Just do it.

We were all accepted to the University of Miami for a reason and finishing that seemingly endless essay during junior year probably helped us in some way.

I know your Marine Science 101 essay may seem like it will never get you a job as a reporter for ESPN, but somehow, it will.

So get it done, do it well and you’ll go far.

Alexa Pappas is a freshman majoring in broadcast journalism and sport administration.

Alexa Pappas

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...