Stop procrastinating, start working

Everyone does it constantly. As much as we enjoy it, we tend to feel pretty bad about ourselves after the fact.

Yes, I’m talking about Facebook and Sporcle and StumbleUpon and eating and tweeting and anything else that ultimately boils down to procrastination. We do anything and everything except what we’re supposed to be doing.

Ninety-five percent of people are prone to procrastination, 20 percent of which are chronic procrastinators, according to Psychology Today.

The etymology of “procrastination” directly translates to “belonging to tomorrow,” so your essay can totally wait until later, right? Nope!

There’s no way to cure procrastination — it’s a decision that you yourself have to make and stick with.

Creating a to-do list and tackling the hardest task first will allow you to prioritize and stick to one assignment at a time.

Taking mini-breaks (but only mini!) between each task will provide incentive to complete your tasks.

Finally, don’t overthink assignments. If you have reasons A, B and C for why you absolutely cannot get your essay done, you’re not going to get anywhere. Just do it.

We were all accepted to the University of Miami for a reason and finishing that seemingly endless essay during junior year probably helped us in some way.

I know your Marine Science 101 essay may seem like it will never get you a job as a reporter for ESPN, but somehow, it will.

So get it done, do it well and you’ll go far.

Alexa Pappas is a freshman majoring in broadcast journalism and sport administration.

Alexa Pappas

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...