Law professor attempts to purchase sexual services

Photo courtesy The Miami Herald

Donald M. Jones, a UM law professor, was arrested and charged with a misdemeanor for purchasing services from a prostitute on Sept. 26. According to a Miami Herald article published on Sept. 30, Jones attempted to pay an undercover cop $20 to perform a sexual act.

Jones teaches constitutional law, criminal procedure and employment discrimination at the law school. His university biography states that he has appeared in numerous TV programs on PBS, CNN and Fox, and has written for the Miami Herald and the Miami New Times. In 2005, Jones wrote a book titled “Race, Sex, and Suspicion: The Myth of the Black Male.”

According to an article by NBC Miami posted on Sept. 30, UM released an official statement through spokeswoman Karla Hernandez: “The University of Miami is aware of the situation concerning UM School of Law Professor Donald M. Jones. It should be noted that Professor Jones has never been convicted of any previous crime.”

According to the same article, Jones was previously charged with a misdemeanor for soliciting an undercover cop for sex in 2007. However, the charges were dismissed.

During this time, he also sued the legal blog, “Above the Law,” for defamation after the site posted about his arrest and called him “The Nutty Professor.”

Kylie Banks

Staff Writer

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...