V's Take

Dear V: I’ve become a mad woman…

I got out of a long (and turbulent) relationship about a year ago. Up to that point, I’d always been faithful and very selective with my sexual partners. In this last year, as a single lady, my number of partners has nearly tripled – I’m literally incapable of having a relationship. Either I cheat, or I grow tired of them right away, or I don’t date them at all and have to deal with clingy one-night stands. Am I being too selective or are there just slim pickings in Miami lately? My close friends say I’ve developed a Don Draper complex and gotten a taste for man-eating. Help!

Stuck in the Middle

Dear President Kennedy,

I actually had to look up who Don Draper was, but from the sounds of it, you fit the bill pretty well (and also from the sounds of it, your friends like pretentious TV shows).  That being said, it’s okay to go through the phase of not wanting to be tied down to a single lover. I think we all go through that phase at some point, and while I don’t condone cheating, I can understand wanting something a little more adventurous.

Before you ask me for help, you should probably try to help yourself. Why are you incapable of dating? One reason is that you consistently cheat on your partner. Who the hell would want somebody who finds it thrilling to sneak into others’ beds? The person who enjoys that might also enjoy making charitable donations to the IRS or encouraging stray cats to breed. Your excuse is just like anyone else’s – “they’re boring, they don’t excite me.” Stop dating men who have the personality of a tortoise.

There are over five and a half million people in Miami, if you can’t find someone from that scene, the city isn’t the problem. It’s not the man’s job to excite you, it’s a responsibility both of you have in a relationship, and if he isn’t exciting you, maybe it’s because you’re not giving him any incentive to. As far as your clingy one-night stands, you’re going to get some clingers because they don’t realize that you were just in it for a cheap thrill.

It sounds to me like you don’t enjoy the purgatory you’re in, which is that of somebody who isn’t ready for a commitment, but doesn’t want the crazy life of a wild bachelorette. I would try to find somebody you can have a little fun with, but also have a good conversation with. It’s a good medium between commitment and nightly orgies.

Now I think I’ll go listen to some Hall & Oates,

Have a question for V? Hit up DearV@themiamihurricane.com.

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...