Collectors donate religious pieces for new display

Unknown Artist, "The Divine Face." Photo courtesy Lowe Art Museum

The Lowe Art Museum will unveil a year-long display called “Saintly Blessings: A Gift of Mexican Retablos” starting Saturday, after receiving a gift from prominent art collectors Joseph and Janet Shein.

The couple graciously donated 28 retablos, inspiring the new exhibit. Retablos are small religious scenes depicted on metal. Often used in the Mexican culture as a symbol of worship and prayer, the retablos will be featured in the Lowe’s Matus Focus Gallery.

“We wanted to say thank you [to our donors]and show the community our new holdings,” said Denise Gerson, associate director of the museum.

For believers, retablos are more than just images; they represent a saint’s spirit, which can be invoked through devotion and prayer. Although sometimes placed in churches or other places of worship, retablos typically make their way into living rooms across Mexico. They often represent a family’s favorite saint or image and are venerated on a daily basis.

Retablos have been recognized as a true art form and are in demand worldwide.

The 28 retablos are displayed in a small hallway reminiscent of a traditional Mexican home. Some of the pieces carry a frame also painted by the artist, while others just stand alone, letting the colors, and the saints they represent speak for themselves.

Just in time for Hispanic Heritage Month, the opening of the retablos exhibit offers the opportunity to learn about a Hispanic culture.

“One thing that’s really exciting about retablos is that [the artists]use everyday objects to make a wonderful work of art; anyone could make a Retablo,” said Michelle Maldonado, professor of religious studies at UM. “They are not ‘high art’ in the way we think of it. They tell a story of faith and culture very explicitly. Each retablo has a story behind it that is visual narrative and not a written one.”

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...