Bank hits debit card users with fee

Senior Natalia Leal withdraws money from an on-campus Bank of America ATM on Wednesday. Next year, the bank will begin charging a usage fee.€ Natalie Edgar//The Miami Hurricane

Starting in 2012, Bank of America will levy a $5 monthly fee on customers who use their debit cards for purchases. Customers will be charged the same rate no matter how often they use the card. However, Bank of America will not charge customers who only use their debit cards to take money out of the bank’s ATMs.

After the recession hit in 2008, the American public expressed a desire for more government regulation in the banking industry.

However, more stringent regulations have caused banks to charge customers to make up for profit losses.

The bank has implemented the new fee as a result of the lower cap on how much it can charge businesses. According to an Associated Press article from Sept. 30, banks would collect around $19 billion in “swipe fees.”

Swipe fees are the fees that banks charge businesses when customers use a debit card.

Under new government regulations, banks can collect a little more than 20 cents per transaction from businesses, while they were able to charge around 44 cents per transaction.

Though Bank of America is the first to charge customers for using their debit cards, Wells Fargo and Chase have been testing out a $3 charge for debit card use in select cities.

For some Bank of America customers, the fees will not make a difference in how they spend money.

“I really don’t care,” sophomore Bharathi Subramanian said. “I don’t use my debit card to buy things.”

Other customers were not pleased with the news.

“I’m disappointed,” freshman Ross Ito said. “When I first signed up for Bank of America, they said there were no fees associated with the card. It feels like I’ve been tricked.”

Though the bank is pushing these fees to increase their profits, its decision may cause many customers to reconsider where they put their money.

“I’m honestly thinking about changing the bank I use,” senior Michael Acosta said. “It’s not a statute that banks charge their members to use their debit card.”

However, customers may end up grudgingly accepting the new fee because of the complexities of transferring money between banks.

“Unraveling all that is a mess, and that’s one thing that really works in the bank’s favor for retaining the customer,” said Brian Riley, research director of bank cards for TowerGroup, in an interview with the Associated Press. “At the end of the day, it’s just hard to change.”

Kylie Banks

Staff Writer

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...