News Briefs 10/6

HOMECOMING ROYALTY

If interested in the chance to be crowned king or queen, submit an application to the Department of Student Activities in UC209 before 5 p.m. on Friday. All registered students are eligible. For the preliminary round on Tuesday, each applicant will be expected to answer a question and give a two-minute dance, theater, vocal or instrumental performance.

For more information, contact the king and queen chairs: Daniel Beldy at dbeldy5@gmail.com, Sophianna Bishop at s.bishop3@umiami.edu or Niurka Monteserin at n.monteserin@umiami.edu.

LAUNCH PAD WINS

The Metro Broward Economic Development Corporation awarded The Launch Pad a grand prize and a $2,500 grant at the Metro Broward Lighthouse Awards, an event designed to highlight awareness of business development in South Florida.

The Launch Pad was recognized for being the first entrepreneur development center on a college campus, and for its commitment to recognizing innovative ideas.

CHANGE OF PLANS

The Homecoming concert, which was originally scheduled to take place at the University Green, will now be held at the BankUnited Center. Details to follow soon.

U.S. MARINE BAND

Students are invited to a free performance by the “President’s Own” United States Marine Band. The event will be held in the BankUnited Center on  Oct. 14 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are available at the UC Information Desk. A valid Cane Card must be presented.

Jonathan Borge may be contacted at jborge@themiamihurricane.com.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...