News Briefs 10/6

HOMECOMING ROYALTY

If interested in the chance to be crowned king or queen, submit an application to the Department of Student Activities in UC209 before 5 p.m. on Friday. All registered students are eligible. For the preliminary round on Tuesday, each applicant will be expected to answer a question and give a two-minute dance, theater, vocal or instrumental performance.

For more information, contact the king and queen chairs: Daniel Beldy at dbeldy5@gmail.com, Sophianna Bishop at s.bishop3@umiami.edu or Niurka Monteserin at n.monteserin@umiami.edu.

LAUNCH PAD WINS

The Metro Broward Economic Development Corporation awarded The Launch Pad a grand prize and a $2,500 grant at the Metro Broward Lighthouse Awards, an event designed to highlight awareness of business development in South Florida.

The Launch Pad was recognized for being the first entrepreneur development center on a college campus, and for its commitment to recognizing innovative ideas.

CHANGE OF PLANS

The Homecoming concert, which was originally scheduled to take place at the University Green, will now be held at the BankUnited Center. Details to follow soon.

U.S. MARINE BAND

Students are invited to a free performance by the “President’s Own” United States Marine Band. The event will be held in the BankUnited Center on  Oct. 14 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are available at the UC Information Desk. A valid Cane Card must be presented.

Jonathan Borge may be contacted at jborge@themiamihurricane.com.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...