News Briefs 10/6

HOMECOMING ROYALTY

If interested in the chance to be crowned king or queen, submit an application to the Department of Student Activities in UC209 before 5 p.m. on Friday. All registered students are eligible. For the preliminary round on Tuesday, each applicant will be expected to answer a question and give a two-minute dance, theater, vocal or instrumental performance.

For more information, contact the king and queen chairs: Daniel Beldy at dbeldy5@gmail.com, Sophianna Bishop at s.bishop3@umiami.edu or Niurka Monteserin at n.monteserin@umiami.edu.

LAUNCH PAD WINS

The Metro Broward Economic Development Corporation awarded The Launch Pad a grand prize and a $2,500 grant at the Metro Broward Lighthouse Awards, an event designed to highlight awareness of business development in South Florida.

The Launch Pad was recognized for being the first entrepreneur development center on a college campus, and for its commitment to recognizing innovative ideas.

CHANGE OF PLANS

The Homecoming concert, which was originally scheduled to take place at the University Green, will now be held at the BankUnited Center. Details to follow soon.

U.S. MARINE BAND

Students are invited to a free performance by the “President’s Own” United States Marine Band. The event will be held in the BankUnited Center on  Oct. 14 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are available at the UC Information Desk. A valid Cane Card must be presented.

Jonathan Borge may be contacted at jborge@themiamihurricane.com.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...