Ludacris grabs number one spot

Hurricane Productions and Student Government have announced that Ludacris will headline this year’s Homecoming concert on Nov. 4 at 9:30 p.m. Courtesy Creative Artist Agency.

Hurricane Productions (HP) and Student Government (SG) collaborated to collect more than 3,000 surveys designed to gauge students’ top choices for this fall’s Homecoming act. Ludacris was selected after making the top-five list, although Pitbull, Avicii and Lupe Fiasco were among the most popular options.

Ludacris has a bevy of hit singles like “What’s Your Fantasy?” “Money Maker,” “How Low Can You Go?” and “Number One Spot,” numerous collaborations with major recording artists – Enrique Iglesias, Usher and Pharrell, to name a few – and the occasional movie cameo (“2 Fast 2 Furious”). He will be headlining this year’s concert on Nov. 4 at 9:30 p.m. on the Green.

“HP tried really hard to get the opinion of the student body this year after what I guess you can call somewhat of a fiasco last year,” said Kris Martin, head of concerts for HP. “We’ve been proactive to please the general student body.”

Last November, HP presented Ms. Lauryn Hill as the concert’s performer, but students were disappointed in that selection; Hill arrived more than an hour late and played many unfamiliar songs. Many students left early.

“Not enough people knew her or her music and she was from the ‘90s,” sophomore Vidhya Krishnan said. “I waited for so long and then it wasn’t worth it. The year before was Common. So from Common to Lauryn Hill, there was a disparity in star power, so I guess people were let down.”

Ludacris, however, is expected to garner a much larger audience.

“We’re really excited to have a mainstream act coming that has a really good, loyal fan base,” Martin said. “There have already been rumors circulating about who the artist is and certain people have already heard. The buzz has been phenomenal.”

Rudy Currence of Mike Chek Ent., DTP and Island Def Jam Records will open the show at 9:30 p.m. and will be followed by Ludacris shortly after.

“I’m definitely going to go to the concert this year,” Krishnan said. “It’s going to be crazy.”

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Apollo 11 astronaut’s moonwalk, which took place 50 years ago Saturday, is remembered by members of ...

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...