Stereotyping interferes with meeting new people

I am from Lawng Eyeland. I open and close draws, drink wooter and like my cawfee dark. Now, as the reader, many things may have rushed into your mind before meeting me. Some common assumptions are:
(1) My taste in men ranges from juiceheads to stronger, tanner juiceheads.
(2) I wear Juicy Couture track suits with the pants tucked into my Uggs.
(3) My daddy bought me a Mercedes on my 16th birthday.
(4) I claim I am from New York. Note: to those in the dark, “New York” implies Manhattan, excluding any other part of the state.
None of the previous statements apply to me, however, maybe these assumptions immediately halted any chance of a real friendship between us. I only use Long Island as a preliminary example, but there are stereotypes regarding every region of the U.S., most of which are exaggerated, some just absolutely false and the obvious situations in which there are plain exceptions.
As students who attend a private university, we have the amazing opportunity to meet people from all over the country, not just one state or region. But as I start my third year at the University of Miami, it is clear to me that students often stick with members of the same geographic area as themselves throughout all four years of undergrad. But why?
For one, it is all about comfort. The fear of judgment is often a deterrent of seeking out new friends, especially those who are unfamiliar to you. This is understandable – the main reason I sigh before responding to the conversation starter, “Where are you from?” is not because I am ashamed, but because of common judgmental thoughts.
Secondly, not only are others judging us without knowing us, but we judge others. I can still remember when I met some of my best friends during freshman year. The judgment I placed on them was ridiculous. I thought my Wisconsin friend’s trusting attitude was naïve and borderline comical, my Tennessee friend’s “field parties” were absurd, my Floridian friend’s driving habits were life-threatening (I stand by this), my North Carolina friend’s open and friendly attitude was a little creepy, my Michigan friend’s accent was incomprehensible and weird, and I even placed judgment on fellow Long Islanders!
Since then, I have learned many valuable things from each of them. A little Midwest trust is not a bad thing, a keg outdoors in a field is fantastic, using my horn can get me somewhere faster, it’s okay to start a conversation with a total stranger, accents can be really attractive and I’m not the only exception to the Long Island stereotype.
Make life interesting – meet new people (even if they exclusively wear Ed Hardy or Vineyard Vines), drink, be merry, and argue over whether it is “Kings,” “Ring of Fire,” or “Circle of Death.” Cheers to ‘merica, no matter where you are from.

Nicole Spiteri is a junior majoring in health science.

Nicole Spiteri

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...