Sports briefs 9/29

Football
Kickoff for the game at Virginia Tech on Oct. 8 will be at 3:30 p.m. on ESPN/ABC. Miami will travel up to Blacksburg to try and end over a two-game losing streak against the Hokies. First, the Canes will close out their homestand this Saturday against Bethune-Cookman. The game can be heard live on 90.5 FM or wvum.org.
Women’s Basketball
With the start of the season just over a month away, the women’s basketball team is starting to build up some preseason hype. After returning all the players from last year’s squad and adding some promising freshmen and transfer students, Miami is being considered a consensus top 10 team. The Canes’ highest preseason ranking is in Slam Magazine, where they are No. 4.
Volleyball
After shooting up a spot to the No. 20 position in the AVCA Poll, the Hurricanes volleyball team is preparing for a weekend homestand against ACC foes Wake Forest and Duke.
The Canes will take on the Demon Deacons on Friday at 7 p.m. Hurricane Force will be sponsoring a tailgate outside of the Knight Sports Complex beginning at 6 p.m. On Sunday, Miami will close out their homestand with a match against the Blue Devils at 1:30 p.m. Both games can be heard live on 90.5 FM or wvum.org.

Soccer
Coming off two straight losses away to Duke and Wake Forest, the Hurricanes will look to start a new winning streak at home this week when they play host to N.C. State and North Carolina. The Wolfpack come into town to face the Canes on Thursday at 7 p.m. The Tar Heels will then make their appearance at Cobb Field on Sunday at 1 p.m.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...