Staff Editorial 9/29: Smoke-free areas spark rebellion

The University of Miami campus’ new smoking zones became effective Sept. 1. A map of these designated smoking areas has circulated, but the only noticeable changes on campus are signs reminding smokers not to light up and blue poles with ashtrays in these spots.
A walk along the paths connecting the campus still involves dodging clouds of smoke, even though there may not even be a smoking area nearby.
Clearly, many students are up in arms against the university’s motion to become smoke-free. UM aims to cut its smoking zones in half by August 2012, and would like to be entirely smoke-free a year after that.
So what is the purpose of banning smoking?
Although it would please the population of students that don’t smoke, it is treating the portion that does unfairly. The university shouldn’t be responsible for forcing students to stop smoking.
That being said, smoking is a choice. Nonsmokers shouldn’t have to deal with secondhand smoke if they don’t want to.
In theory, the designated smoking areas are extremely beneficial. However, the plan has numerous flaws that should be fixed before it can take its desired effects.
The obvious problem is that this policy is not being enforced. People blatantly smoke in nonsmoking areas without facing any consequences. If the university is relying on the honor code, it’s falling flat. Smokers might be more inclined to smoke only in designated areas if the alternative meant a punishment.
Getting to these areas, however, can be inconvenient because they are located in places where students don’t tend to congregate. It’s frustrating to ditch your friends to smoke somewhere else, and this fact may further discourage smokers from abiding by the new initiative.
But a smoking area in the Rat’s outside patio, for example, wouldn’t be too inconvenient for nonsmokers and could give smokers the freedom to drink, eat and smoke.
Courtesy, however, is one thing that everyone should agree on. Smokers, please be considerate of those around you that may not want smoke blown in their faces.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...