Soccer, Sports

Senior goalkeeper evolves into leader

Zach Beeker//The Miami Hurricane

Seventy games played, 309 saves, 26 shoutouts, 6,364 minutes recorded in goal and the statistics keep piling up.

Senior goalkeeper Vikki Alonzo is the team leader both on and off the field, yet she does not settle for her spot at the top.

“Always keep in mind when you’re not working or not working hard, someone is out there working harder than you, trying to be better than you,” Alonzo said.

Alonzo, a senior majoring in sports administration with a minor in marketing from Carrollton, Texas, is no stranger to hard work.  Since high school, Alonzo has been named “Goalie of the Year,” and has played as a member of state and national championship-winning Olympic Development and club teams.

A four-year starter at UM, Alonzo holds the title of the school’s career in shutouts and single-season leader in saves, goals against average and minutes in goal.

Assistant Coach Nate Norman describes Alonzo as a “technically sound goalkeeper” with good shot anticipation.  Norman credits her improvement on aerial saves to hard work and countless hours with goalkeeper trainer Devon Pierre.

“On the field we can always count on Vikki organizing our defense, and she is always worth a goal or two every game,” Norman said. “There aren’t many female goalkeepers that can come up with some of the saves she comes up with.”

Alonzo is a leader respected by both her fellow players and coaches.

“What makes her such a good leader is that she is a great person,” Norman said. “She would do anything for anyone on our team. With Vikki it’s not about how she can help herself out, but how she can help others get better.  That is the type of culture we are trying to create and she personifies it tremendously.”

Alonzo describes her leadership role as the mediator between players and coaches, and an aid to underclassmen balancing school and soccer.

She believes the most important responsibility as a leader is “staying positive and making sure everyone is motivated.”

As a senior, Alonzo has also assumed the responsibilities of a mentor for younger players and, in particular, freshman goalkeeper Abbey Smith.

“I do see myself as a mentor,” Alonzo said. “I make sure she [Smith] is always going hard against me, pushing me because I am doing the same to her. Off the field, I make sure she is doing OK with school and just make sure she knows she can talk to me about anything.”

The best way to make an example is simply by being herself.

“She naturally leads by example by being a technically sound goalkeeper in every way,” Norman said. “She is constantly pushing and teaching Abbey everyday in practice. There is no other goalkeeper I would want Abbey to learn from on how to act on the field and off the field than Vikki.”

Alonzo’s best advice to young players is to “stay positive and always make sure during practice you give everything.”

“You practice how you play,” she said.

Looking ahead to the future, Alonzo hopes to continue to play the sport for which she is so passionate, in the professional leagues in the United States or abroad.  She looks forward to returning to college soccer one day as a head coach or goalkeeper coach when her playing days are over.

Kristen Spillane

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...