Professor killed in plane crash

Photo courtesy Miller Schol of Medicine

Dr. Jagajan Karmacharya, an associate professor at the Miller School of Medicine, was killed Sunday along with his girlfriend in a plane crash near the capital of Nepal.
Karmacharya, who was also the chief of vascular surgery at Miami’s Veterans’ Administration Hospital, had traveled to his home country of Nepal to visit his sick mother and introduce her to his girlfriend.
Accompanied by his brother and sister-in-law, the couple had taken a Buddha Air sightseeing flight to Mount Everest. Investigators suspect that the aircraft crashed while attempting to land.
Karmacharya’s brother was taken to the hospital, where he died later that day. The crash claimed the lives of all 19 passengers on board.
According to BBC News, crashes involving small planes are not uncommon in Nepal.
This is Buddha Air’s first severe accident in nearly 14 years, according to the Miami Herald.
Karmacharya has been with the Miller School for three years. He played a key role in getting the school accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education for the Vascular Surgery Fellowship.
“This is not just sad for us; it’s a great family tragedy,” Alan Livingstone told the Miami Herald. Livingstone is the chairman of the department of surgery at UM’s Miller School of Medicine and was Karmacharya’s supervisor.
Karmacharya is survived by his teenage son, his two brothers and his mother.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...