Professor killed in plane crash

Photo courtesy Miller Schol of Medicine

Dr. Jagajan Karmacharya, an associate professor at the Miller School of Medicine, was killed Sunday along with his girlfriend in a plane crash near the capital of Nepal.
Karmacharya, who was also the chief of vascular surgery at Miami’s Veterans’ Administration Hospital, had traveled to his home country of Nepal to visit his sick mother and introduce her to his girlfriend.
Accompanied by his brother and sister-in-law, the couple had taken a Buddha Air sightseeing flight to Mount Everest. Investigators suspect that the aircraft crashed while attempting to land.
Karmacharya’s brother was taken to the hospital, where he died later that day. The crash claimed the lives of all 19 passengers on board.
According to BBC News, crashes involving small planes are not uncommon in Nepal.
This is Buddha Air’s first severe accident in nearly 14 years, according to the Miami Herald.
Karmacharya has been with the Miller School for three years. He played a key role in getting the school accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education for the Vascular Surgery Fellowship.
“This is not just sad for us; it’s a great family tragedy,” Alan Livingstone told the Miami Herald. Livingstone is the chairman of the department of surgery at UM’s Miller School of Medicine and was Karmacharya’s supervisor.
Karmacharya is survived by his teenage son, his two brothers and his mother.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...