Professor killed in plane crash

Photo courtesy Miller Schol of Medicine

Dr. Jagajan Karmacharya, an associate professor at the Miller School of Medicine, was killed Sunday along with his girlfriend in a plane crash near the capital of Nepal.
Karmacharya, who was also the chief of vascular surgery at Miami’s Veterans’ Administration Hospital, had traveled to his home country of Nepal to visit his sick mother and introduce her to his girlfriend.
Accompanied by his brother and sister-in-law, the couple had taken a Buddha Air sightseeing flight to Mount Everest. Investigators suspect that the aircraft crashed while attempting to land.
Karmacharya’s brother was taken to the hospital, where he died later that day. The crash claimed the lives of all 19 passengers on board.
According to BBC News, crashes involving small planes are not uncommon in Nepal.
This is Buddha Air’s first severe accident in nearly 14 years, according to the Miami Herald.
Karmacharya has been with the Miller School for three years. He played a key role in getting the school accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education for the Vascular Surgery Fellowship.
“This is not just sad for us; it’s a great family tragedy,” Alan Livingstone told the Miami Herald. Livingstone is the chairman of the department of surgery at UM’s Miller School of Medicine and was Karmacharya’s supervisor.
Karmacharya is survived by his teenage son, his two brothers and his mother.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...