Committee plans to add new events to celebration

Students at UM will be given a chance to embrace and celebrate Miami’s cultural diversity with a twist.
Multicultural Student Affairs has organized various events to promote Hispanic Heritage Month and celebrate the contributions of Latin culture throughout the month of October.
“It always brings out such a great crowd because since people live here in Miami, they want to know more about the culture,” said sophomore Meghan Shephard, a member of the Hispanic Heritage Month committee. “This is a great way to get the students involved and to spread knowledge about Latino culture.”
The committee will continue its annual features, like Hispanic cuisine during Dorm Storm on Tuesday in the Mahoney/Pearson dining hall and Wednesday in the Hecht/Stanford dining hall.
“People are always going to the dining halls to get food anyway, so when they walk in they see this buffet line of Hispanic food,” Shephard said. “It is always very popular.”
Another staple event, Opening Ceremonies, will allow students to enjoy food and live performances held on the UC patio on Oct. 6.
In addition to these events, the Hispanic Heritage Month committee is introducing some new ones to their program.
“They have a new event ‘La Lengua,’” said Luz Paniagua, advisor of Multicultural Student Affairs. “There are different stations and at each station you learn something about the Spanish language. By the end, you should be able to say some sort of sentence [in Spanish]. They have a pronunciation station, a slang station and a pick-up line station.“
The last event, scheduled for Oct. 26, is “Feel the Ritmo,” where one can learn different Latin dance styles.
“We are trying to step outside of the boundary people would assume an event like this would have and reaching out more,” Shephard said.

Jackie Salo

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...