Charges delivered to Pike

The Department of Judicial Affairs has delivered charges to Pi Kappa Alpha, which has been under investigation for several weeks. The fraternity, which is also known as Pike, has until Friday to respond.

“I am not able to provide more information at this time,” said  Anthony Lake, associate dean of students who is in charge of Greek organization affairs.

The charges may be connected to a Coral Gables police report filed Sept. 5 at approximately 1 a.m. Both Lake and Harrison Potak, president of Pike, declined to comment about this document.

According to the report, a 19-year-old female student was found unconscious near the bike racks at Pearson Residential College. Her eyes were “rolled back” and she had a “a strong odor of alcoholic beverage emitting from her breath.”

The officer had to apply three drops of ammonia in order to get the student to respond. Still, she “could not get up on her own” and did not “want to open her eyes.”

The student responded to the officer’s questions in a “weak and low tone of voice” and remained “on the grass with her eyes closed.”

According the report, the student said that she drank vodka and beer at an off-campus party hosted by Pike. She then stated that a man had driven her to the bike racks and dropped her off.

The student was eventually transported to Doctor’s Hospital.

According to UM’s Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook, a student organization has 72 hours after receiving a notice of a charge to respond with either a request to dismiss the case, a statement that says it is responsible or not responsible for the charges (either would result in a disciplinary hearing), or a plea of no contest, which would subject the organization to any sanction by the dean’s office without the organization’s input.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...