Charges delivered to Pike

The Department of Judicial Affairs has delivered charges to Pi Kappa Alpha, which has been under investigation for several weeks. The fraternity, which is also known as Pike, has until Friday to respond.

“I am not able to provide more information at this time,” said  Anthony Lake, associate dean of students who is in charge of Greek organization affairs.

The charges may be connected to a Coral Gables police report filed Sept. 5 at approximately 1 a.m. Both Lake and Harrison Potak, president of Pike, declined to comment about this document.

According to the report, a 19-year-old female student was found unconscious near the bike racks at Pearson Residential College. Her eyes were “rolled back” and she had a “a strong odor of alcoholic beverage emitting from her breath.”

The officer had to apply three drops of ammonia in order to get the student to respond. Still, she “could not get up on her own” and did not “want to open her eyes.”

The student responded to the officer’s questions in a “weak and low tone of voice” and remained “on the grass with her eyes closed.”

According the report, the student said that she drank vodka and beer at an off-campus party hosted by Pike. She then stated that a man had driven her to the bike racks and dropped her off.

The student was eventually transported to Doctor’s Hospital.

According to UM’s Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook, a student organization has 72 hours after receiving a notice of a charge to respond with either a request to dismiss the case, a statement that says it is responsible or not responsible for the charges (either would result in a disciplinary hearing), or a plea of no contest, which would subject the organization to any sanction by the dean’s office without the organization’s input.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...