Sports, Volleyball

UM volleyball sweeps Virginia and Virginia Tech

A week after a disappointing loss to rival Florida State in Tallahassee, Fla., the University of Miami volleyball team hit the road again with different results this past weekend, beating Virginia Tech and Virginia in convincing fashion.

The Hurricanes (11-1, 2-1) needed a total of six sets to beat both the Hokies and the Cavaliers, winning both matches 3-0 on Friday night and Sunday afternoon, respectively.

Two seniors combined to help Miami to victory against Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Va. Middle blocker Ali Becker registered a match-high 13 kills, while outside hitter Lane Carico recorded a double-double with 11 kills and 17 digs in the contest.

Senior setter Katie Gallagher was also in top form, recording 35 assists while middle blocker Emani Sims continued her impressive freshman campaign by recording four blocks in the victory.

Miami won a close first set 25-23, but put the Hokies away with relative ease after that, winning both the second and third frames by the score of 25-20.

It was much of the same for the Hurricanes on Sunday when the team traveled north from Blacksburg to Charlottesville to take on Virginia. Both Becker and Carico again led their team to victory with Carico taking top kill honors with a match-high 13 and Becker right behind her with 10 kills of her own.

Carico also earned her second double-double in as many matches while adding 11 digs in the contest. Gallagher recorded 39 assists setting up the victory for the Hurricanes.

Miami won the match by set scores of 25-20, 25-14 and 25-23.

It was an impressive showing for the Hurricanes who were coming off of their only loss of the season to Florida State. Going into that game against the Seminoles, Miami was coming off of wins again Auburn and Oklahoma at home, both teams that had made the 2010 NCAA tournament.

Following three straight matches on the road, the Hurricanes return home to the Knight Sports Complex at the end of this week. Miami will continue on with its ACC schedule, going up against Wake Forest on Friday night and Duke on Sunday afternoon.

Adam Berger

Staff Sports Writer

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...