I am an identity crisis

Who am I? I like to think I’m an identity crisis mostly because I am taking the time to answer this question. The bumper sticker on my car comes to mind. It says, “I’m a natural,” using the musical symbol. Cute, I know. Some would say I’m clever, but others would say I’m a comical failure. I mean that in both senses of the phrase … clever, hm?

People struggle with the fine line between arrogance and confidence. I have a name for that line: Fareed Rifai. Wait, so where does that put me … exactly. I am ambiguous, but only for fun.

I am straightforward and self-assured. At least, that’s what one of my friends says. It looks like I am quite convincing. Sometimes I think of myself as a long reel of vague nouns that could apply to a number of people, but are special in the context of me as a person: thinker, student, dancer, artist, writer (too obvious?), Muslim, Arab, American, human, a colon followed by a closing parentheses, what? I happen to be all of those things. Talk about diversity.

I am me. If you still believe that I am suffering from an identity crisis, then the previous sentence should show you that I have learned the error of my ways. I started a Facebook group called, “People who know who they are.” And, so I say again with more impetus: I am me. Imagine it being said with Morgan Freeman’s voice through me. You know I am not kidding.

I am Fareed Aref Rifai. I am Fareed Rifai. I am Fareed. I am Freddie. I am Freds. I am Fretzel. I am Frederick. Disregard the previous three sentences … I despise those nicknames. The meaning of my real first name resonates with me. It means “unique” in Sanskrit. I am Fareed and I am unique. Well, there surely must be somebody remotely like me. Nope. How do I figure that? Yes, you guessed it. Because I am me. That doesn’t answer the question. Think about it … it still doesn’t answer the question.

Um … I am a realist. I am not talking about the realism artistic movement. I am a lazy artist. I don’t feel like movements are the best use of my time.

I am balance. Don’t mess up my zen thing dude. The Yin and Yang symbol was modeled off of the clothes I am wearing right now. Black sweatpants with a white brand name and a white t-shirt with black letters on it. I love the fact that Taoists thought of me all those years ago.

I am humble yet expressive. I am funny, yet not funny. I am close, but far. I am black, but white. I like that this works geographically because the Middle East is between Europe and Africa in a strange way. I am smart, but stupid. No, I don’t think that one works because obviously I am, um … stupid.

I am about to conclude. I have concluded. Read an article on Jedi Mind Tricks for further explanation.

Fareed Rifai

University of Miami students share their thoughts and impressions as President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris take the helm. ...

Following Wednesday’s historic event, University of Miami experts in various fields provide their insight on the biggest challenges facing the new administration. ...

As part of the “Roadmap to Our New Century” initiative, the University of Miami advances the art of teaching and the science of learning by partnering with students, alumni, and others to offer options throughout the entire adult learning life cycle. ...

University of Miami experts weigh the merit and consequences of amending or repealing the communications law that provides a legal shield for service providers from the words, images, and videos posted by their users. ...

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...