Hippies unite at global EarthDance festival

Heather Foy, Debby Carrigan and others do tricks with light-up hula hoops as soon as the sun set during the Earthdance Miami festival. This festival was a part of a synchronized global peace prayer which occurred at 7 pm, but the festivla included other events such as Thai Yoga, drum circles, continual music, and vegan food. Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

Welcome to the hippie movement of the 21st century. The EarthDance Miami festival at Seventh Circuit Studios was part of a simultaneous international celebration that occurred on Saturday in over 350 global locations.
The event merged arts, health and environmental awareness with its conscious-culture workshops, performances and vendors.
The most prominent aspect of EarthDance was the diverse crowd – all ages and backgrounds were welcomed.
Gongs greeted guests in the guided group meditation, and yoga workshops worked to relieve stress and help patrons channel their positive energy.
Neighboring clothing vendors offered unique pieces to meet any tie-dye and feather fanatic’s needs. Apart from the vendors, there was a stage for musical performances, shaded by trees decorated in Tibetan peace flags.
The crowd danced to everything from African tribal drums to house beats, just another element that made EarthDance unlike anything else.

Sarah Hall

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...