Hippies unite at global EarthDance festival

Heather Foy, Debby Carrigan and others do tricks with light-up hula hoops as soon as the sun set during the Earthdance Miami festival. This festival was a part of a synchronized global peace prayer which occurred at 7 pm, but the festivla included other events such as Thai Yoga, drum circles, continual music, and vegan food. Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

Welcome to the hippie movement of the 21st century. The EarthDance Miami festival at Seventh Circuit Studios was part of a simultaneous international celebration that occurred on Saturday in over 350 global locations.
The event merged arts, health and environmental awareness with its conscious-culture workshops, performances and vendors.
The most prominent aspect of EarthDance was the diverse crowd – all ages and backgrounds were welcomed.
Gongs greeted guests in the guided group meditation, and yoga workshops worked to relieve stress and help patrons channel their positive energy.
Neighboring clothing vendors offered unique pieces to meet any tie-dye and feather fanatic’s needs. Apart from the vendors, there was a stage for musical performances, shaded by trees decorated in Tibetan peace flags.
The crowd danced to everything from African tribal drums to house beats, just another element that made EarthDance unlike anything else.

Sarah Hall

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...