Hippies unite at global EarthDance festival

Heather Foy, Debby Carrigan and others do tricks with light-up hula hoops as soon as the sun set during the Earthdance Miami festival. This festival was a part of a synchronized global peace prayer which occurred at 7 pm, but the festivla included other events such as Thai Yoga, drum circles, continual music, and vegan food. Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

Welcome to the hippie movement of the 21st century. The EarthDance Miami festival at Seventh Circuit Studios was part of a simultaneous international celebration that occurred on Saturday in over 350 global locations.
The event merged arts, health and environmental awareness with its conscious-culture workshops, performances and vendors.
The most prominent aspect of EarthDance was the diverse crowd – all ages and backgrounds were welcomed.
Gongs greeted guests in the guided group meditation, and yoga workshops worked to relieve stress and help patrons channel their positive energy.
Neighboring clothing vendors offered unique pieces to meet any tie-dye and feather fanatic’s needs. Apart from the vendors, there was a stage for musical performances, shaded by trees decorated in Tibetan peace flags.
The crowd danced to everything from African tribal drums to house beats, just another element that made EarthDance unlike anything else.

Sarah Hall

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Throughout campus, students expressed gratitude that they can be at UM and visit family during the T ...

Vector-borne specialist John Beier tells us what we should know about the illness. ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...