Former Sbarro employees reassigned

When the Sbarro franchise closed its doors last semester due to bankruptcy, students mourned the loss of a late-night dining option. However, the former employees had much more to be concerned with.
Though all the workers were reassigned, they were originally dismissed by Chartwells with no guarantee of an open position in the fall.
After members of STAND found out about the employees’ dismissals, they decided to help them retain positions on campus.
“I thought, ‘the student body is not going to like this.’ We work with them; they feed us. We don’t want people in our community treated that way,” junior Dylan Beasley said.
Throughout the summer, STAND publicized the issue around campus.
“We just went around and talked to students,” Beasley said. “At the end, students would write how they felt about the issue. Students were extremely supportive.”
The organization collected 135 individual petitions.
Students’ petitions contained strongly-worded messages to Chartwells. One of the petitions stated, “It does not make me feel comfortable as a student to see my school so readily disrespect the
loyalty of their faithful employees. Are the students next?”
At the end of the summer, STAND faxed 75 of the petitions to the offices of both Chartwells and UM President Donna E. Shalala.
“We started faxing in petitions. Within less than a week Chartwells called [STAND member] Antoine Romulus and said [to]please stop sending the petitions,” Beasley said.
After receiving the faxes, Chartwells met with STAND to discuss the issue and by the end of the summer, the employees were hired back for the fall semester.
“All of the non-supervisory hourly associates of Chartwells who were formerly placed at Sbarro have been placed in positions throughout campus that opened up this semester,” said Margot Winick, assistant vice president for media relations. “All of the associates were given priority status when the fall semester staffing process began.”
Sena, a campus employee who asked to remain anonymous, is satisfied with the decisions made.
“Right when school came back, [the workers]came in for their orientation,” she said. “They reassigned them. It was a surprise to everyone.”
Though all Sbarro members were successfully relocated, some students are still upset with Chartwells.
“We are going to keep a close eye on the conditions of Chartwells,” junior Antoine Romulus said. “Sbarros workers didn’t need to be fired like that.”

Kylie Banks

Staff Writer

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...