V's Take

Dear V: You don’t need a stallion to ride off into the sunset…

V,

Lately I’ve caught myself thinking about this guy at work. It was hard for me to even admit it to myself – it took me around two weeks to actually come to terms with my feelings for him. I’m a girl who’s never been attracted to a guy because of his personality, so this is a really big deal for me. And, it’s not that he’s really ugly, but he’s just not my typical stallion – he’s basically a bit of an unattractive nerd. Not to mention he likes to play Dungeon and Dragons in his dinosaur PJs on Friday nights, and even though I’m not a party animal, I think that’s kind of weird. 

Still, he’s a nice and funny guy, and I like him because he can hold an intellectual conversation on just about anything. Sometimes he says things that I’m not really sure if they’re flirtatious remarks or if they’re just friendly phrases – which, quite frankly, is kind of leading me on. And every time I catch him flirting with other girls at work I kind of get a twinge of unwanted jealousy. Should I give him a chance? How can I even begin to be friends with him? And what if I get rejected… by a nerd? Clearly, I need guidance. 

I’m too cool for school but I’ve got the hots for Steve Urkell

Dear Barbie Girl,

“[I’ve] never been attracted to a guy because of his personality,” Wow, you’re a real winner, these feelings you have for someone who can actually carry on a half-witted conversation are known as “growing up” or “not being a horny fourteen-year-old.” Here’s some truth, and yes, I am berating you right now, because I can’t send you to “time out.” You’re an adult, and one thing more pathetic than an adult playing D&D in his Jurassic Park PJ’s is an airhead whose soul is as deep as the water level at high tide.

I sincerely hope this revelation marks some sort of intellectual evolution for you, otherwise you’re destined to become a bimbo trophy wife; the one people aren’t afraid to insult because they know you won’t get it. One day, you and your partner are going to be old, shriveled up, and hideous, might as well find somebody you can carry a conversation with when that time comes. In boot camp, they break you down, then rebuild you. This is what I’m doing right now. You’re young, there’s still hope for you to realize that being around Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino would be as entertaining as washing lice eggs out of your hair. D&D might be exactly what you need. Sure, we all make fun of dorks, but here’s another truth: it’s because we envy them. Here’s a kid who knows exactly what makes him happy, and does it whether it’s a social faux pas or not. “Geekdom” is really innocence at heart; it’s the refusal to bind to superficial obligations that come with adulthood, which only lead to misery.

And the PJ’s? This dude has twice the cojones Steve McQueen or Chuck Liddell ever had, he’s willing to rock dino gear in adulthood because he loves freaking dinosaurs, that’s just getting off on a level most of us could ever even hope to reach. You should give his world a shot; you might actually appreciate someone being real. If he rejects you, then maybe you aren’t “cool” enough to ride with him (HEY! Must-be-cuz you’re Pho-Nay!).

Being superficial in youth is a common mistake, not correcting that in adulthood is a tragedy,

Have a question for V? Hit up DearV@themiamihurricane.com.

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...