Research facility opens first phase

The first phase of UM’s Life Science and Technology Park, which has been six years in the making, had its grand opening Tuesday morning.

Three hundred guests from the Miller School of Medicine and other UM communities, as well as local civic leaders, gathered at the ceremony in the 242,000-square-foot facility in Overtown.

“This is a place where education, research and technology intersect with discovery and innovation,” President Donna E. Shalala said during the event. “This is the home of future cures and treatments for some of the most vexing and chronic health problems we face as a nation and in the world. This is an economic incubator with global outreach.”

The building is the first of five potential medical and engineering research spaces that UM plans to build in Miami’s Health District, an area adjacent to the medical campus along Interstate 95.

The park’s labs and offices will centralize the innovative developments by researchers from both UM and around the world. For instance, start-up companies can rent spaces to test the commercial viability of their discoveries. There is already a 60 percent tenant occupancy.

“This spectacular facility will enable us to move research forward into advanced products and treatments that will be brought to patients in South Florida, across the United States and around the world more quickly than ever before,” said Pascal Goldschmidt, senior vice president for medical affairs of UHealth and the Dean of the Miller School of Medicine, during the event.

The park, according to administration, will also build jobs, a contentious problem in Florida, where the unemployment rate is 10.7 percent.

This first phase of the park is intended to create more than 1,150 direct and indirect jobs, with an additional 2,700-plus direct and indirect positions created by ongoing operations, according to a recent study by the Washington Economics Group published in the Miami Herald.

Despite the anticipation for a promising future at the facility, some Overtown residents and UM students have tirelessly protested the project.

“They’re using public money to build this research facility here,” said junior Javier Figueroa, a member of Students Towards A New Democracy (STAND). “I think they should be giving something back to the community.”

About 30 people from activist groups, including STAND, the Overtown Alliance  and PowerU, protested outside the opening ceremony asking the university to negotiate and sign a “Community Benefits Agreement.”

STAND says that the document, which the organization has been asking UM to sign since summer 2009, will help historic Overtown in its struggle with poverty.

Bill Diggs, the president and CEO of the Miami-Dade Chamber of Commerce, supported the protestors democratic right to demonstrate, but feels that the university has done enough to help the community.

“We’ve got black firms that have participated in construction,” he said. “They have worked directly with the leading black organization for economic development in this community to make sure that there is inclusion. They’ve already committed to a program to create jobs for the people living within this area.”

Chelsea Kimmey

Assistant News Editor

University of Miami experts discuss the potential mental health impacts in the Bahamas following Hur ...

The Fall Lecture series explores topics on accelerated resolution therapy treatments, pain managemen ...

As the Bahamas urges tourists to visit its islands unaffected by Hurricane Dorian, University of Mia ...

Katya Saunders, president of the Bahamian Students Association, is leading a relief effort to help h ...

The uniqueness of the University of Miami—as a place to live, learn, share knowledge, and innovate—s ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba, the reigning NCAA singles champion, opens the 2019-20 season ranked second i ...

This weekend, Canes men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric became a U.S. Citizen – and reflected on th ...

The Hurricanes opened their five-game homestand on Saturday with a big win over Bethune-Cookman and, ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was named ACC Rookie of the Week a ...

Adria Soriano Barrera checks in at No. 21, Bojan Jankulovski ranks No. 51 and Francisco Bastias rise ...