News Briefs 9/22

CPR Class

The Heart Saver CPR with AED class will be held on Tuesday from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. The class will teach CPR, choking relief and barrier devices on all ages.

There will be an optional class for CPR and choking relief for infants, and for CPR with a mask for all ages.  The class costs $30 for student members, $35 for non-student members and $40 for non-members.

To register, call 305-284-5433 or visit the Wellness Enrichment Suite, which is in the Wellness Center.

CERT Session

The Canes Emergency Response Team (CERT) will be holding a session on Sept. 29 in UC237 at 7 p.m. CERT is UM’s student-led response team that trains its members for emergency drills by teaching them first aid, medical operations, victim assessment, fire suppression, and search and rescue.

For more information, visit their table in the Breezeway  on Sept. 29 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. or visit  Stanford Residential College on Wednesday from 6:30 to 9 p.m.

Network event 

Network with members of the Woodson Williams Marshall Association (WWMA) on Wednesday at 5 p.m. in the Mahoney Residential College Master’s Apartment.

Dinner will be provided at the event. If interested, call 305-284-2855 for any questions or to RSVP. For more information, email multicultural.studentaffairs@miami.edu.

Alysha Khan may be contacted at news@themiamihurricane.com.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...