Facebook grows into complex, secure network

Think Facebook is more confusing every day? Well, it may be a good thing.

Additional privacy options and settings are being introduced weekly.  Only two weeks ago, Facebook launched an innovative way of organizing your friends. According to The Washington Post, “The network is also rolling out ‘close friends’ and ‘acquaintances,’ lists that you control and that affect what shows up in your news feed.”

Now, that person you met last Friday who somehow figured out your last name after a two-minute conversation can be categorized as an acquaintance  so you don’t need to read their constant status updates when you can barely remember who they are. Facebook is no longer a simple social networking system; it is becoming extensively more secure and branching beyond its basic format.

What will Facebook do next? The answer: Free music. CNET affirms that companies such as Spotify, MOG, Rhapsody, Soundcloud, Rdio, Deezer and Vevo are all tagging their music to be Facebook compatible. The new service is set to launch later this month and will allow about 750 million users to listen to free music.

What’s the catch? There is none. Facebook is opening its network for people to freely enjoy music. The real issue may result from the companies not wanting music to be completely free. Facebook may be forced to have more advertisements during music streaming to appease their music partners.

We all know Facebook is the ultimate procrastinating outlet and music will only enhance its power. I predict that companies such as Pandora and Netflix will soon be streaming through Facebook because the network is becoming more competitive and universal. According to PC World, “If the integration race keeps up, soon we can stay logged on indefinitely and never have to leave.”

We can now subscribe to certain people, categorize friends and soon we’ll be able to listen to music. Maybe next we’ll be taking our finals on Facebook, too.

Danielle Poreh

The University of Miami has joined forces with a national collaborative to help raise awareness and ...

Political scientist Calla Hummel, who was in Bolivia during its flawed election, shares her insights ...

University of Miami Frost School of Music alumni are recognized on Latin music’s biggest night—the 2 ...

A new course is providing students a primer on planning the Super Bowl, one of the biggest events of ...

A week full of spirit, friendly competition and ’Canes pride was on display during Homecoming and Al ...

Jim Larrañaga oftentimes told Bruce Brown that his path to a successful NBA career was at the point ...

Following a win in its first road game of the season, the Miami men's basketball team will resu ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. - University of Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced th ...

Emma Langlois and five members of the men's cross country team return to Tallahassee for the NC ...