Facebook grows into complex, secure network

Think Facebook is more confusing every day? Well, it may be a good thing.

Additional privacy options and settings are being introduced weekly.  Only two weeks ago, Facebook launched an innovative way of organizing your friends. According to The Washington Post, “The network is also rolling out ‘close friends’ and ‘acquaintances,’ lists that you control and that affect what shows up in your news feed.”

Now, that person you met last Friday who somehow figured out your last name after a two-minute conversation can be categorized as an acquaintance  so you don’t need to read their constant status updates when you can barely remember who they are. Facebook is no longer a simple social networking system; it is becoming extensively more secure and branching beyond its basic format.

What will Facebook do next? The answer: Free music. CNET affirms that companies such as Spotify, MOG, Rhapsody, Soundcloud, Rdio, Deezer and Vevo are all tagging their music to be Facebook compatible. The new service is set to launch later this month and will allow about 750 million users to listen to free music.

What’s the catch? There is none. Facebook is opening its network for people to freely enjoy music. The real issue may result from the companies not wanting music to be completely free. Facebook may be forced to have more advertisements during music streaming to appease their music partners.

We all know Facebook is the ultimate procrastinating outlet and music will only enhance its power. I predict that companies such as Pandora and Netflix will soon be streaming through Facebook because the network is becoming more competitive and universal. According to PC World, “If the integration race keeps up, soon we can stay logged on indefinitely and never have to leave.”

We can now subscribe to certain people, categorize friends and soon we’ll be able to listen to music. Maybe next we’ll be taking our finals on Facebook, too.

Danielle Poreh

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...