Staff Editorial 9/18: Chartwells should show its real face

Since August, tweets from @UM_Chartwells have been appearing in students’ news feeds. The Twitter page is one of the more popular campus-related social media accounts with 314 followers.

The University of Miami is no stranger to social media. This April, UM was ranked eighth on StudentAdvisor.com’s list of “top social media colleges.” The ranking was based on how well the university, along with its departments and corresponding divisions, used Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, among other outlets, to keep in touch with students.

UM has more than 30 Facebook pages, 29 Twitter pages, eight YouTube accounts and five RSS feeds. Departments like admissions, athletics, UM police, each school and its library, the alumni association and student media – including The Miami Hurricane – each have their own accounts.

However, @UM_Chartwells is an unofficial representation of Chartwells, and is not affiliated with UM. The account is merely an elaborate parody.

But here’s the surprise – did you know that UM’s Chartwells food service does have a social media presence? If you didn’t know this, you’re not alone. The Dining Services Department’s Twitter page only has 31 followers and has not been highly promoted. The department’s Facebook page is equally unpopular with only a mere 92 likes. Neither are particularly informative, and the few number of people aware of them shows social media has yet to be taken advantage of by our dining services.

While @UM_Chartwells is amusing to us, it is an insult to the real Chartwells. But it’s hard to lay blame when even the official Chartwells Twitter account is languishing in anonymity. If Chartwells were to advertise menus on Facebook or ask for feedback on Twitter, they would undoubtedly gain more followers who seek official information.

Granted, @UMDining first tweeted in August, so it may take time for the dining service to get a feel for the medium. Hopefully, we can look forward to our dining halls having a presence on these sites, instead of settling for jabs by an anonymous person. Even if @UM_Chartwells makes us laugh, let’s hope the official dining service takes their own social media outlets by the reins.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...