Staff Editorial 9/18: Chartwells should show its real face

Since August, tweets from @UM_Chartwells have been appearing in students’ news feeds. The Twitter page is one of the more popular campus-related social media accounts with 314 followers.

The University of Miami is no stranger to social media. This April, UM was ranked eighth on StudentAdvisor.com’s list of “top social media colleges.” The ranking was based on how well the university, along with its departments and corresponding divisions, used Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, among other outlets, to keep in touch with students.

UM has more than 30 Facebook pages, 29 Twitter pages, eight YouTube accounts and five RSS feeds. Departments like admissions, athletics, UM police, each school and its library, the alumni association and student media – including The Miami Hurricane – each have their own accounts.

However, @UM_Chartwells is an unofficial representation of Chartwells, and is not affiliated with UM. The account is merely an elaborate parody.

But here’s the surprise – did you know that UM’s Chartwells food service does have a social media presence? If you didn’t know this, you’re not alone. The Dining Services Department’s Twitter page only has 31 followers and has not been highly promoted. The department’s Facebook page is equally unpopular with only a mere 92 likes. Neither are particularly informative, and the few number of people aware of them shows social media has yet to be taken advantage of by our dining services.

While @UM_Chartwells is amusing to us, it is an insult to the real Chartwells. But it’s hard to lay blame when even the official Chartwells Twitter account is languishing in anonymity. If Chartwells were to advertise menus on Facebook or ask for feedback on Twitter, they would undoubtedly gain more followers who seek official information.

Granted, @UMDining first tweeted in August, so it may take time for the dining service to get a feel for the medium. Hopefully, we can look forward to our dining halls having a presence on these sites, instead of settling for jabs by an anonymous person. Even if @UM_Chartwells makes us laugh, let’s hope the official dining service takes their own social media outlets by the reins.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...