New office supports civic engagement

Mara Dâ€'Amico, member of AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) working in Office of Civic and Civic Engagement, is calling local community about a recent program they are collaborating on. Zoe Lu//The Miami Hurricane

Founded two months ago, the Office of Civic and Community Engagement (OCCE) is the latest on-campus service to help students get more involved in their community.

The OCCE’s main goal is to connect faculty members, students, and community organizations to address concerns in a collaborative learning environment.

The office is headed by Robin Bachin, assistant provost for Civic and Community Engagement and associate professor in the department of history.

“Whereas the Butler Center focuses more on volunteerism and leadership development, this office focuses on more of the academic side of service and engagement,” said Mara D’Amico, who works at both the OCCE and the Butler Center for Volunteer Service and Leadership Development.

This semester, more than 30 courses feature a community service component and the website lists over 50 internships with community organization.

OCCE representative Lee Bloch stresses the importance of “experiential learning” in the education process.

“[Community-based partnerships] promote a more engaged culture and a culture that crosses those borders between the university and the community,” Bloch said.

Students can get directly involved with the office through one of its five upcoming initiatives. For example, applications are currently open for the Southridge High School Partnership, which would allow hands-on experience for history and English majors who want to use their knowledge to educate high school students.

Going forward, Bloch hopes to have more partnerships with high schools.

“[The office] would like to incorporate more high schools, programs and fields,” he said.

Through the efforts of the OCCE, D’Amico wants to address the needs of the community and to create an educational opportunity for students.

“It’s a matter of asking: ‘What does the community need and what skills do I have to address those needs?’” D’Amico said. “It’s so important for students to know what’s going on in their community and on their campus. It allows them to form connections that can further their career and experience at the school.”

Alanna Zunski

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...