New mural documents UM history

The dull white walls of the University Center will finally be dressed up with some color.

As part of the ongoing UC renovations, the Pavia Garage entranceway will be home to a new mural that will document UM’s history.

Student Government Vice President Ashley Taggart represents the student body on the UC Renovations Committee. Under the direction of Patricia Whitely, the vice president of Student Affairs, the committee is working to make the UC as spirited as possible.

“The UC is really bland and boring,” Taggart said. “We want to spruce it up.”

With the help of Arquitectonica, an architecture firm in Miami, the committee has been designing layouts and various print mock-ups before finalizing the rendering earlier last week.

Taggart said this mural will do a great job capturing student activities while promoting school spirit throughout campus.

“The mural is going to be a transformation to the UC,” she said. “I want to see it up.”

The mural will be organized to show the different eras of the university. It will consist of real pictures, which will tell the story of UM from the beginning of its existence.

“The UC Mural will vividly depict UM history and traditions with a strong focus on student life,” Whitely said. “Organized by the terms of the five UM presidents, the mural will be a terrific addition to the renovated UC, and will be a popular stop for students, guests and alumni for years to come.”

The committee hopes to have the mural mounted on the UC walls by the end of October, in time for homecoming and the ceremonial groundbreaking of the new Student Activities Center.

Elizabeth De Armas

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...