New mural documents UM history

The dull white walls of the University Center will finally be dressed up with some color.

As part of the ongoing UC renovations, the Pavia Garage entranceway will be home to a new mural that will document UM’s history.

Student Government Vice President Ashley Taggart represents the student body on the UC Renovations Committee. Under the direction of Patricia Whitely, the vice president of Student Affairs, the committee is working to make the UC as spirited as possible.

“The UC is really bland and boring,” Taggart said. “We want to spruce it up.”

With the help of Arquitectonica, an architecture firm in Miami, the committee has been designing layouts and various print mock-ups before finalizing the rendering earlier last week.

Taggart said this mural will do a great job capturing student activities while promoting school spirit throughout campus.

“The mural is going to be a transformation to the UC,” she said. “I want to see it up.”

The mural will be organized to show the different eras of the university. It will consist of real pictures, which will tell the story of UM from the beginning of its existence.

“The UC Mural will vividly depict UM history and traditions with a strong focus on student life,” Whitely said. “Organized by the terms of the five UM presidents, the mural will be a terrific addition to the renovated UC, and will be a popular stop for students, guests and alumni for years to come.”

The committee hopes to have the mural mounted on the UC walls by the end of October, in time for homecoming and the ceremonial groundbreaking of the new Student Activities Center.

Elizabeth De Armas

The northeastern Italian city, built in a lagoon and growing increasingly more susceptible to sea le ...

Climate scientist Katharine Mach is researching ways to adapt to our changing climate, including how ...

Thomas J. Meade, the founder of four biotech companies, launches the Frost Institute of Chemistry an ...

Frost School of Music’s Opera Program set to debut production of “L'enfant et les sortileges.” ...

During the second workshop, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership created a brave space for s ...

Shaquille Quarterman arrived at Miami hoping to make a difference. He's done that and more. Now ...

University of Miami sophomore Brevin Jordan was selected as one of eight semifinalists for the 2019 ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced Miami's 2020 schedule on Tuesday a ...

The only school to win the tournament twice, Miami men's basketball team is set to compete in t ...

Mike Harley arrived in Coral Gables as a high school All-American expected to make an immediate impa ...