Government should follow in steps of wealthy

Recently, when the news was plastered with talk of the looming deadline for the U.S. national debt, many financial pundits thought that the fiscal apocalypse was approaching.

At the last moment, however, Congress passed a bill that allowed them and the president to raise the debt ceiling by $2.4 trillion, while cutting only a little more than $900 billion immediately out of the national budget. Along with this came a 12-person, bipartisan, congressional “super committee,” whose responsibility is to reduce the deficit by another $1.5 trillion.

However, all these cuts will hardly put a dent in our national debt (more than $14 trillion) unless the cuts work jointly with increases in government revenue. Yet many members of the Republican Party refused to vote for a bill with any increased tax revenue. Rather, they chose to play the game of partisan politics, gambling with the U.S. economy.

One person who spoke out about his refusal to compromise is Warren Buffett, the wealthy investor and businessman who recently wrote an editorial in The New York Times outlining a plan to increase tax revenues for only the wealthiest Americans. He states that tax rates should rise for households earning more than $1 million in taxable income and an even greater increase in rates should be applied for households earning more than $10 million.

I respect Buffett for taking this stand, especially when middle and lower class families continue to struggle to pay off home mortgages, college costs and everyday living expenses.

Buffett is not the only affluent individual who is calling for greater taxes on the rich. Just this week, 16 of France’s wealthiest individuals were signatories on a petition for higher tax rates for the wealthy in France. These small yet significant acts display teamwork – something the U.S. government hasn’t seen in a while.

Members of Congress should look to these individuals for guidance in these fiscally difficult times. The wealthy are willing to pay more taxes, which could be put toward research grants, better federal college funding and subsidies, and improved national infrastructure.

America is broke and we have to learn to live within our means. Many of the wealthiest people in America are willing to help us get there, but Congress first needs to take a step in the right direction by realizing increased tax rates will not destroy American society.

Paul Ryan is a freshman majoring in economics and history.

Paul Ryan

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...