Solar compactor increases efficiency

Katie Kuretski uses the brand new solar-powered garbage can by Starbucks. "I didn't even know this was here," she said. "It looks kinda cool." George Wu//The Miami Hurricane

Move over garbage cans and recycle bins, the BigBelly is in town.

Located in front of Starbucks by Richter Library, the BigBelly Solar Compactor is a new trash can that uses solar energy to power an internal compacter.

Once the trash reaches a certain level, it is compacted to create more space in the trash can. It also functions as a recycling bin.

“It’s really cool. It’s very obvious and very attention grabbing,” said Ian McKeown, UM’s sustainability coordinator. “This is a pilot one by the library to see if it meets the needs of the campus.”

The purpose of the BigBelly is to help reduce pollution by decreasing the frequency of trash pickup. Trash will only be picked up three times a week, as opposed to every day. As a result, less money will be spent on gas and labor.

“It reduces the volume of your trash. So in theory, you don’t have to pick it up as much,” McKeown said. “Also, it’s got a wireless system, so it lets the people know they can go [pick up the trash].”

The BigBelly trash can has been implemented on campuses nationwide, including at Harvard University, Arizona State University and the University of Boston.

The trash can is the latest initiative from Green U, an organization that encompasses all sustainability efforts instituted at the university. McKeown hopes to eventually place the bins across campus.

“I think this unit is awesome. It is cool, unique and it has been proven to work at other institutions throughout the United States,” he said. “It has made a difference in other places. We brought it to UM to see if it will make a difference here.”

Ariele Gallardo

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...