Solar compactor increases efficiency

Katie Kuretski uses the brand new solar-powered garbage can by Starbucks. "I didn't even know this was here," she said. "It looks kinda cool." George Wu//The Miami Hurricane

Move over garbage cans and recycle bins, the BigBelly is in town.

Located in front of Starbucks by Richter Library, the BigBelly Solar Compactor is a new trash can that uses solar energy to power an internal compacter.

Once the trash reaches a certain level, it is compacted to create more space in the trash can. It also functions as a recycling bin.

“It’s really cool. It’s very obvious and very attention grabbing,” said Ian McKeown, UM’s sustainability coordinator. “This is a pilot one by the library to see if it meets the needs of the campus.”

The purpose of the BigBelly is to help reduce pollution by decreasing the frequency of trash pickup. Trash will only be picked up three times a week, as opposed to every day. As a result, less money will be spent on gas and labor.

“It reduces the volume of your trash. So in theory, you don’t have to pick it up as much,” McKeown said. “Also, it’s got a wireless system, so it lets the people know they can go [pick up the trash].”

The BigBelly trash can has been implemented on campuses nationwide, including at Harvard University, Arizona State University and the University of Boston.

The trash can is the latest initiative from Green U, an organization that encompasses all sustainability efforts instituted at the university. McKeown hopes to eventually place the bins across campus.

“I think this unit is awesome. It is cool, unique and it has been proven to work at other institutions throughout the United States,” he said. “It has made a difference in other places. We brought it to UM to see if it will make a difference here.”

Ariele Gallardo

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...