Solar compactor increases efficiency

Katie Kuretski uses the brand new solar-powered garbage can by Starbucks. "I didn't even know this was here," she said. "It looks kinda cool." George Wu//The Miami Hurricane

Move over garbage cans and recycle bins, the BigBelly is in town.

Located in front of Starbucks by Richter Library, the BigBelly Solar Compactor is a new trash can that uses solar energy to power an internal compacter.

Once the trash reaches a certain level, it is compacted to create more space in the trash can. It also functions as a recycling bin.

“It’s really cool. It’s very obvious and very attention grabbing,” said Ian McKeown, UM’s sustainability coordinator. “This is a pilot one by the library to see if it meets the needs of the campus.”

The purpose of the BigBelly is to help reduce pollution by decreasing the frequency of trash pickup. Trash will only be picked up three times a week, as opposed to every day. As a result, less money will be spent on gas and labor.

“It reduces the volume of your trash. So in theory, you don’t have to pick it up as much,” McKeown said. “Also, it’s got a wireless system, so it lets the people know they can go [pick up the trash].”

The BigBelly trash can has been implemented on campuses nationwide, including at Harvard University, Arizona State University and the University of Boston.

The trash can is the latest initiative from Green U, an organization that encompasses all sustainability efforts instituted at the university. McKeown hopes to eventually place the bins across campus.

“I think this unit is awesome. It is cool, unique and it has been proven to work at other institutions throughout the United States,” he said. “It has made a difference in other places. We brought it to UM to see if it will make a difference here.”

Ariele Gallardo

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...