News briefs 9/15

PARTY IN PAJAMAS

Canes Night Live (CNL) will give away free pajama pants to the first 200 guests at the “CNL Pajama Party at the Wellness Center” on Friday at 9 p.m.

Nachos and beverages will be provided in addition to a screening of Horrible Bosses and Ferris Bueller’s Day Off . Bring your blankets, pillows and Cane Cards.

ROLLER DERBY

On Friday at 8 p.m., the Gainesville Roller Rebels and the Gold Coast Derby Girls will compete at the BankUnited Center (BUC). Tickets are available at ticketmaster.com, the BUC Box Office or by calling 1-800-745-3000. Tickets are $13 for adults, $10 for students and $5 for children ages 3-12.

ART IN WYNWOOD

Presented by the Department of Art and Art History, the first “Works on Paper” exhibit is running now through Sept. 30 at Wynwood Project Space.

Paper prints and drawings will be showcased. Call 305-284-3161 or email m.cardoso1@miami.edu for more information.

OVERSEE ELECTIONS

Student Government (SG) is looking for students to join the Elections Commission, responsible for overseeing SG elections in the fall and spring semesters. Applications are available in the SG office, UC 214, and are due Friday. For more information, email umelectionscommission@gmail.com.

GIFT COMMITTEE

The Senior Class Gift Committee is responsible for fundraising for scholarships, planning on-campus events and networking with alumni. To join the committee, access the application at miami.edu/seniorclassgift or at seniorclassgift@miami.edu. Include a copy of your resume and fall class schedule. Applications are due by Friday, in person or via email.

VIVA ITALIA

Chef Mercedes is back at the Wellness Center with a full menu of Italian cuisine. From parmesan risotto to mushroom ragout, learn to cook, try the food and take home the recipes on next Wednesday from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.

To register, call 305-284-5433 or visit the Wellness Enrichment Suite on the second floor. The class is $20 for UM students and $25 for non-members.

CLEAN UP THE SEA

On Saturday from 9 a.m. to noon, Miami-Dade County will join the 26th Annual International Coastal Cleanup for Trash Free Seas across 38 different locations. There will be a volunteer appreciation party held at the Miami Seaquarium from noon to 3 p.m. For more information, visit  miamidadecoastalcleanup.org/volunteer-registration.

Jonathan Borge may be contacted at jborge@themiamihurricane.com.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...