Sports briefs 9-15

SOCCER

The Hurricanes face their first ACC test of the season Thursday afternoon against the Clemson Tigers. Last year, the Canes traveled up to South Carolina and came away with a 3-0 win over their division foes. The game will be at Cobb Field at 7 p.m.

FOOTBALL

For Saturday’s game, the gates at Sun Life Stadium will open at 2 p.m. and kickoff is at 7:30 p.m. Bus services will be transporting students; drivers will be charged $25 for parking. Students interested in purchasing a season-long parking pass may purchase them at the UC Information desk, the membership office at the wellness center or the Hecht Athletic Center for $70.

GOLF

The Hurricanes golf team wrapped up its first tournament of the season in Harahan, S.C., with a 12th-place finish in the Cougar Classic. Senior Jennifer Hirano and freshman Leticia Ras-Anderica both each shot a final-round 72. The Canes will be off until Saturday when they take part in the Mary Fossum Invitational.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...