Pizza food truck to roll on to campus

A hurricane will hit the University of Miami when the Uragano pizza truck, named for the Italian word for hurricane, arrives on campus at the end of October.

Recognizing the need for a pizza eatery on campus after the Rathskeller took over the former location of Sbarro, the UM Department of Dining Services worked with Chartwells to launch a pizza truck.

“[The pizza truck] has been built expressly for Chartwells,” said Sandra Redway, the executive director of business services. “There is a pizza oven on board.”

The Uragano will feature freshly made whole wheat and traditional dough as well as mozzarella. Customers will have the option of 10 different types of pizza such as margherita, BBQ chicken and Caesar salad.

There will also be a pizza named exclusively for the university called, “The U Bomb,” which consists of bacon, sausage, pepperoni, mushroom, peppers, onion and mozzarella.

In addition to pizza, The Uragano will serve hero sandwiches.

When the truck arrives in late October, it will run from Monday through Friday 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. and on the weekends 4 to 11 p.m.

“I think it will be a great addition to campus to have access to fresh pizza on a regular basis,” freshman Brynn Freeland said.

The truck will be found in different spots around campus like the Rock, McLamore Plaza, the School of Nursing and  School of Communication Parking Lot, the UV, and the Hecht-Stanford and Mahoney Pearson Residence Halls.

Students will also be able to communicate with the truck to get it to move to a certain hot spot.

“The beauty of this is that the students will be able to tweet the truck once it comes to campus,” said Redway. “We will know the heavy areas and the truck can be moved there.”

Jackie Salo

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...