Private information at your fingertips

We all have these days where we get immensely frustrated at our phones, and want to chuck it against the wall, not caring about the consequences. That describes my relationship with my phone, but a few weeks ago my phone was acting completely crazy and coincidently caused me to discover something new: a Facebook phonebook.

Wait, a Facebook phonebook? Yes, that’s right. In addition to my regular contacts, some of whom I never talk to anyway, I had an additional contact list with 200 people (or possibly more) that I never even met. Their numbers were at my disposal. I was pretty amazed at this neat feature on my tiny Android phone. I never had to ask these people for their numbers; all I had to do was type in their name and I could send them an impromptu text whenever I wanted.

As much as I found this new technology intriguing, I also found it creepy. It made me think about not only the privacy settings of Facebook, but how we collectively as users give out too much information in the first place. Some users fill out every single box and section social networking sites ask for; providing everything from their favorite colors to their full addresses and phone numbers. It seems like no one thinks about what Facebook could do with all of this information, or who else could just steal any of this information with their own intent.

Yes, a Facebook phonebook may seem like a breach in privacy controls on the creators of Facebook’s behalf, but what about our duties as users to protect ourselves and not engage ourselves in sticky situations? We hear about these horror stories with unsuspecting girls getting raped because they put to much info on Facebook and say, “Yeah, I’ll never be that person.”

But do we really take the time to see the access we allow others to have of our own lives?

Krystel is a freshman majoring in creative writing.

Krystel Edwards

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...