Many dangers come with ‘buying under the influence’

I recently came across a phrase that has been unable to leave my mind: “Buying under the influence.”

We have all been schooled on  driving under the influence, but are we aware of the real dangers of buying under the influence?

This secret hazard to the women of society should have a penalty, but who is to stop us?

As fall season emerges it is only likely that we will go from store to store in a haze of grabbing trendy items, leaving the mall drunk on fashion.

Last May, I had my first experience of buying under the influence. I stepped into one of my favorite boutiques and scouted an awesome pair of Jeffrey Campbell limited edition shoes. The platform was made out of wood and they were a solid six inches high. As I pranced around the store in these Gaga-inspired heels, I started to say to myself in a fashion-slur.

“You need these. Of course, they aren’t too high. If Gaga can walk in them, why can’t you? Just get them; they are only $175. Just do it!”.

With more than a casual dent in my pocket, I walked out of the boutique completely intoxicated by my purchases.

In addition to the heels, I acquired a pair of ripped, dark green shorts that my mother calls the “swamp shorts” and refuses to let me out of the house while wearing them. My last offense was a bright green ring the size of my hand that looks like I belong in the cast of “Wicked.”

Who was to stop me when my credit card level reached its max the same way an intoxicated person’s blood alcohol level reaches a 0.08? Unfortunately, there is no secret police that pops out of stores and cuffs you (as much as I would like there to be).

Once I calmed down from my “shopping high,” I discovered the worst part of this silent addiction. I had just spent money on ridiculous items that I convinced myself I needed because they were too awesome to leave.

Although I would not define myself as a shopaholic, and you may not define yourself as one either, I felt it was appropriate to warn you that there is a way to prevent yourself from falling victim like I did.

So, here is my list of helpful tips to guide you on what you should do in case a sudden instance of shopaholism takes you over:

1. Take a deep breath.

2. Ask yourself, “Do I really need this?” Really think in depth on this one. Do you have something like it already? What purpose would it serve in your closet?

3. If your answer to the previous question is no, immediately step away. Leave the store if you have to.

And finally, always and I mean ALWAYS, go shopping with a friend. It is important to have the guidance of someone you trust in order to stop yourself from over-indulging … that is if they are not a shopaholic themselves.

Brittany Weiner is a junior majoring in print journalism and art.

Brittany Weiner

Contributing Sports Writer

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...