Cinema serves more than popcorn

Gables Cinema offers a variety of food in their cafe, including sushi, salads, baked goods, and fresh apples. The cinema opened October of last year, but the cafe only opened a month ago. Cayla Nimmo//The Miami Hurricane

The Coral Gables Art Cinema not only strays from the mainstream in its selection of films, but the new Cinema Cafe features fare from a variety of Gables vendors.

Partnered with Sushi Maki, Chocolate Fashion bakery and Green Gables Cafe, the cinema now offers more than the traditional junk food, like popcorn and candy. In addition to the classics, moviegoers can add a California roll ($5), pastries like chocolate-walnut cookies ($4.50), and organic salads to their movie palette.

UM students are no strangers to Sushi Maki’s on-campus location, offering sushi with ingredients that contain no preservatives or artificial colorings. The Green Gables Cafe, located at 327 Alhambra Circle, dedicates itself to providing sustainable, organic options. Its menu includes freshly pressed juices ($5.50), artisan sandwiches ($10-12) and even gluten-free burgers ($12).

“We’re grateful to support the local arts and anything that enhances one’s well-being,” director of Green Gables Cafe Ana Rabel said.

Alex Kuk, manager of the Coral Gables Sushi Maki, hopes that the partnership grows as well.

“It is a nice relationship; it’s a good marriage between the two,” Kuk said.

Chocolate Fashion bakery offers savory French-inspired desserts. The glazed tarts ($4-5), petit fours ($1.60) and cookies will soon become as popular as Buncha Crunch or Sour Patch Kids.

Most can agree that food is often the best way to bring people together. The cafe was created with that exact intention of making a more communal movie-watching experience, said cinema director Robert Rosenburg. It also helps support local businesses.

“Instead of leaving after the movie, people can stay for food and interact over a light lunch or dinner,” Rosenburg said.

He is currently working on getting a beer and wine license, but Lavazzo-brand coffee and Izze soft drinks will suffice until then. Rosenburg encourages people to eat not only in the cafe, but also inside the theater or outside on the patio.

The Coral Gables Art Cinema, which opened in 2010, plays American independent, foreign and classic films that are not found in larger South Florida multiplexes. Created by the non-profit film arts organization Coral Gables Cinemateque Inc., the theater offers HD-quality visuals and sound. Tickets are $13 for the general public and $8 for seniors and full-time students.

The cinema also hosts special events in which they feature a specific director or artist.

In collaboration with the Centro Cultural Español and Books & Books, the cinema will be hosting a weeklong program Nat Chediak presents “David Trueba, Recent Works.” A leading Spanish filmmaker, novelist and journalist, Trueba will be showcasing his work in Miami starting Friday.

For more information on showtimes, events and trailers visit http://www.gablescinema.com. The cinema is located at 260 Aragon Avenue and is open seven days a week.

If you go

What: Coral Gables Art Cinema

Where: 260 Aragon Avenue

Tickets: $13 for the general public and $8 for seniors and full-time students.

Upcoming events

Friday: Nat Chediak will kick off “David Trueba, Recent Works,” a weeklong program. Events featured include a book signing, and opening talk, and screenings of Trueba’s three films.

Check out gablescinema.com for more information on upcoming events.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...