Culture

New mythological exhibit at the Lowe

Bali Bima in Underworld, from Bima Swarga, early 20th century ink and paint on muslin, 34 1/4 x 40" Gift of Estelle Shaw, 65.045.340 Courtesy Lowe Art Museum

“Sacred Stories, Timeless Tales: Mythic Traditions in World Art,” currently on exhibit at the Lowe Art Museum, offers a glimpse into global mythology over 5,000 years.

“More than 20 years of curatorial exploration of the Lowe’s rich permanent collection, which represents some 5,000 years of world art, inspired me to organize an exhibition that illustrated connections that exist between cultures that I found intriguing, both iconographically and aesthetically, based on mythic traditions that have been developed by peoples world-wide,” said Denise M. Gerson, associate director of the Lowe and curator of the exhibit.

Pieces vary in medium and origin, including a 19th century Chinese robe, a sixth century Greek sculpture, which depicts a scene featuring Athena and a recent metal cutout of a siren by a Haitian artist.

“Making the final selection of art objects was challenging,” Gerson said. “I could only include about 130 of them.”

The exhibit was created from the Lowe’s permanent collection of 18,000 different pieces.

“I also wanted to feature works of art from all cultures represented at the Lowe in as many mediums as possible. Finally, as I was  collaborating with my director and the Lowe’s five consulting curators, all of whom made the selections in their areas of expertise, coordination was, at times, a bit complicated.”

If You Go:

Where: Lowe Art Museum

When: Now through Oct. 23

What: 130 pieces spanning 5,000 years

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...