New mythological exhibit at the Lowe

Bali Bima in Underworld, from Bima Swarga, early 20th century ink and paint on muslin, 34 1/4 x 40" Gift of Estelle Shaw, 65.045.340 Courtesy Lowe Art Museum

“Sacred Stories, Timeless Tales: Mythic Traditions in World Art,” currently on exhibit at the Lowe Art Museum, offers a glimpse into global mythology over 5,000 years.

“More than 20 years of curatorial exploration of the Lowe’s rich permanent collection, which represents some 5,000 years of world art, inspired me to organize an exhibition that illustrated connections that exist between cultures that I found intriguing, both iconographically and aesthetically, based on mythic traditions that have been developed by peoples world-wide,” said Denise M. Gerson, associate director of the Lowe and curator of the exhibit.

Pieces vary in medium and origin, including a 19th century Chinese robe, a sixth century Greek sculpture, which depicts a scene featuring Athena and a recent metal cutout of a siren by a Haitian artist.

“Making the final selection of art objects was challenging,” Gerson said. “I could only include about 130 of them.”

The exhibit was created from the Lowe’s permanent collection of 18,000 different pieces.

“I also wanted to feature works of art from all cultures represented at the Lowe in as many mediums as possible. Finally, as I was  collaborating with my director and the Lowe’s five consulting curators, all of whom made the selections in their areas of expertise, coordination was, at times, a bit complicated.”

If You Go:

Where: Lowe Art Museum

When: Now through Oct. 23

What: 130 pieces spanning 5,000 years

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...