New mythological exhibit at the Lowe

Bali Bima in Underworld, from Bima Swarga, early 20th century ink and paint on muslin, 34 1/4 x 40" Gift of Estelle Shaw, 65.045.340 Courtesy Lowe Art Museum

“Sacred Stories, Timeless Tales: Mythic Traditions in World Art,” currently on exhibit at the Lowe Art Museum, offers a glimpse into global mythology over 5,000 years.

“More than 20 years of curatorial exploration of the Lowe’s rich permanent collection, which represents some 5,000 years of world art, inspired me to organize an exhibition that illustrated connections that exist between cultures that I found intriguing, both iconographically and aesthetically, based on mythic traditions that have been developed by peoples world-wide,” said Denise M. Gerson, associate director of the Lowe and curator of the exhibit.

Pieces vary in medium and origin, including a 19th century Chinese robe, a sixth century Greek sculpture, which depicts a scene featuring Athena and a recent metal cutout of a siren by a Haitian artist.

“Making the final selection of art objects was challenging,” Gerson said. “I could only include about 130 of them.”

The exhibit was created from the Lowe’s permanent collection of 18,000 different pieces.

“I also wanted to feature works of art from all cultures represented at the Lowe in as many mediums as possible. Finally, as I was  collaborating with my director and the Lowe’s five consulting curators, all of whom made the selections in their areas of expertise, coordination was, at times, a bit complicated.”

If You Go:

Where: Lowe Art Museum

When: Now through Oct. 23

What: 130 pieces spanning 5,000 years

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...