It’s my life

Entering the large air-conditioned Bank United Center (BUC) building was intimidating and relieving all at the same time. The relief came from the A/C hitting the students heated bodies, but each freshmen was nervous about their first day of orientation; wondering who they will meet, who there new friends would be, and what college would really be like. For some, college is what is seen in the movies with lots of parties and lots of hook-ups, for others college is just the next step in their education. College is truly different for every student, and what each freshman has to learn is that college truly is what you make it.

Many freshmen just want to experience everything in college, but they want that experience to be good. That’s why we have “rateyourprofessor.com” and other sites that show what teachers are like. People don’t like not knowing what they are in for. A student can go into a class with a neutral perspective, but every student knows that there teacher will either have a bad or good reputation. And although there is a chance that the student will become more nervous by finding out facts about their professor, the chance to feel better is worth the risk.

That is probably one of the best things about college students, they will take chances, make things more exciting. It’s easy to find things to do, interesting people to meet, and easy to find things to write about. In the ordinary 9-5 business world, a leaky fire hydrant could be news worthy, but in this college world something is always happening. With so many things happening
it is easy for students to pick and chose what they want to do and what they want to exclude from their lives, they get to have control for the first and for a lot, the last time in their lives.

What many people forget after college is that that life is what you make it to be. In college you can be a party person, a perfect student, a sports player, a newspaper writer, a “fill in the blank.” People in the 9-5 world forget that they have control of their life and they wish they were in college again because that was the only time in their life that they felt free. So after all the
speeches during orientation, after the advice given from Faculty, the one thing I hope for the class of 2015 is for them not to forget that it is your life and don’t let anyone else lead it for you.

Christian Suglia

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...