‘Strong energy’ among members in ArtOfficial creates new vibe

Alejandro Elizondo practices with members of ArtOfficial in preparation for the shows this weekend. Marlena Skrobe//Photo Editor

It’s only natural that such an innovative and soulful band is born in a city where diversity runs deep through all forms of art. These new sounds come in the form of ArtOfficial, a group formed in 2006 that consists of Danny Perez on keys, Ralf Valencia on bass, Keith Cooper on the saxophone, and not one, but two emcees- Newsense and Logics. Since their formation, ArtOfficial has been delivering a fresh sound to venues all over Miami and the east coast.
“We were all looking for a new project and through a few people knowing each other, and being in the right place at the right time, we formed,” Cooper said. “We all seemed to come together through a few different friends and ended up at the same place. We jammed that night and were super pumped on what came out and decided to keep it going.”
ArtOfficial’s sound is a mix of jazz, funk and hip-hop, with the vocals of Newsense and Logics braided through the rhythm and soul. All six musicians bring their own style to the group, with inspiration coming from all aspects of life in Miami.
“You have so much input from each other and what they’ve grown up listening to,” Cooper said. “I feel like inspiration comes at very random times. I was surfing the other day and the lifeguard kept blowing his whistle in a very rhythmic pattern, which got stuck in my head and made me think of a new horn line.”
Alejandro Elizondo, a music business and contemporary music major at the University of Miami, will be playing on the keys with ArtOfficial this Friday at The Stage in the Design District.
“I’m just excited to have the opportunity to play with these guys,” said Elizondo, who has been playing piano since elementary school. “Each member makes strong contributions to the process of writing and recording, and there is a strong energy between them when they play together.”
If you can’t make it out on Friday, the group will be spreading their rhythmic beats on Saturday, during the Labor Day Finnegan’s Music Festival. Tickets are $10 if purchased this week and $15 this weekend.
Their upcoming album, “Vitamins and Minerals,” will be released this fall. You can get a taste of what is to come by checking out their newest song, “Migraine,” on ArtOfficialmusic.net.
“In this album you can hear our growth as a band and us becoming a lot more comfortable in the studio,” Cooper said. “We all think that this is the best stuff we made, and are real proud of it.”

Marlena Skrobe

Co-Photo Editor

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...