Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Kiteboarders fly high in new club sport

Thomas Fields, vice-president of the kite boarding club, hangs upside down in Cabarete, Dominican Republic. Courtesy Thomas Fields

One of the newest trends to hit the beaches of South Florida is a form of wakeboarding called kiteboarding. The sport began in the 1980s, and really took off in the 1990s.  Kiteboarding had its inaugural year as a club sport at the University of Miami last year.

“This club is young, but it is becoming well known quickly in the extreme sports community,” said Rhonda DuBord, associate director of UM’s recreation programs.

The water sport consists of a board strapped to one’s feet and a kite attached around the waist by a harness. The rider controls where he wants to go with the use of  bar that helps him steer in a certain direction.

Since boats aren’t used to drag the boarder around, weather conditions are important. Wind is the only propulsion available.

Based on wind speed and skills, a kiteboarder can reach up to 20 miles per hour and as high as 30 feet in the air. The more wind, the higher and faster a kiteboarder can go.

“If you like catching rays and being out on the water, this sport is for you,” club president Ivan Zorn said.

The club is led by Zorn and professional rider Tom Fields.

In Miami, kiteboarding can be seasonal due to the minimal wind during the summer months.

“Before class, after class. Basically whenever we get a chance, or when the weather is good, we go out and spend the day at the beach,” Fields said.

The club currently has 10 members and is growing quickly.  There is no experience needed to join the club. Beginners are welcome; in fact, most members had never kiteboarded before joining the club. The team provides new members with gear and the opportunity to take lessons.

A local board shop supplies the instructors and equipment for all beginners.

The club has monthly beach days where members spend the day on the water. These beach days also welcome new members with a shoreside barbeque at the end of the day.

“Our overall goal this year is to expand our team and have a great time out there on the water,” Zorn said. “Hopefully, we can return to the events we went to last year and win a few tournaments.”

cesarferreiro

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...