Empty wallets shouldn’t equal empty relationships

The opening lines from “For the First Time,” by The Script, “She needs me now, but I can’t seem to find the time/ I’ve got a new job now on the unemployment line/ And we don’t know how/ How we got into this mess,” are just a snippet of some worthy truths.

This song, my new favorite by The Script, poignantly describes what daily life is now like in America. Ever since the ‘Great Recession’ in 2008, our economy has been spinning out of control. No one knows what is truly going on, but it seems like every channel has somber news about the debt ceiling rising and unemployment rates slowly climbing. Some people can no longer afford graduate school, and even the smartest students from prestigious universities are reduced to saying, “Can I take your order?” at the local McDonald’s.

We are now at a staggering 10 percent unemployment and it’s becoming the norm to say that job hunting is your real job.

Maybe, if you are like me, these events have little significance to you. Most people would wonder, why should I worry about debt or getting a real job when I just started college? Though it’s easy for college students to tune out the events going on in the world, this is not your typical event and it affects everyone in this country, especially when we are all working toward that common goal of succeeding and making our families proud.

Hopefully, unlike the lead singer of The Script, we don’t neglect our significant others in the process. Let’s not wake up to find our relationships ruined because we were too focused on getting a 4.0 GPA, or looking for the perfect job. “Oh, these times are hard,” they sing, but it would be 10 times harder without support from our loved ones.

Make sure they know you appreciate them before it’s too late to salvage any type of relationship. Turn this tragedy into a blessing in disguise.

Krystel Edwards

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...