Sports, Volleyball

Women’s volleyball sets high expectations at season’s start

Not a bad start to the 2011 season for the women’s volleyball team.

The Hurricanes returned to the court in top form this weekend, sweeping their way through the Tiger Classic in Baton Rouge, La., going 3-0, including a tournament-clinching victory against LSU.

Miami opened up the tournament and with it the regular season by beating Jacksonville State in straight sets on Friday night by scores of 25-19, 25-18 and 25-14.

Senior Christine Williamson and sophomore Alex Johnson recorded eight kills apiece to lead all scorers in the contest, while senior Lane Carico served up a match-high four aces.

The second match of the tournament brought about much of the same from the Hurricanes. Miami cruised by Louisiana-Lafayette in straight sets, 25-19, 25-21 and 25-16, thanks in large part to a dominant performance by rightside Alex Johnson.

The sophomore recorded a career-high 17 kills in the Saturday afternoon contest, easily surpassing her previous career mark of 11.

Saturday evening, during the final match of the Tiger Classic, the ‘Canes took on tournament host LSU in what was a hard fought, five-set victory.

Miami opened up the contest by beating the Tigers in extra points 27-25, but lost the following two frames by scores of 25-13 and 25-16.

Down 2-1 and in danger of losing their first match of the season, the ‘Canes won a close fourth set 25-22 to even up the match against LSU 2-2. Miami went on to win the fifth and clinching set 15-8 in a dramatic end to a successful opening weekend for the Hurricanes.

“Tonight was a great experience because we had success and struggles, yet we were able to turn it around in the end for a victory on their home court,” head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said to Hurricanessports.com.

Alex Johnson, who recorded 14 kills and 17 digs in the final match, left Baton Rouge with tournament MVP honors. Johnson tallied up double-doubles in both Saturday contests. She only had three such performances in all of 2010.

Miami will next travel to Malibu, Calif., to compete in the Pepperdine Asics Classic. The tournament includes competition such as the SEC’s Georgia Bulldogs.

Miami will hold its season opener the following weekend as the hosts of the annual Hurricane Invitational.

Adam Berger

Staff Sports Writer

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

For the second time in three years, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami women's t ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...

With the seven-run victory, Miami won its ACC Championship opener for the fifth consecutive season. ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...