Sports, Volleyball

Women’s volleyball sets high expectations at season’s start

Not a bad start to the 2011 season for the women’s volleyball team.

The Hurricanes returned to the court in top form this weekend, sweeping their way through the Tiger Classic in Baton Rouge, La., going 3-0, including a tournament-clinching victory against LSU.

Miami opened up the tournament and with it the regular season by beating Jacksonville State in straight sets on Friday night by scores of 25-19, 25-18 and 25-14.

Senior Christine Williamson and sophomore Alex Johnson recorded eight kills apiece to lead all scorers in the contest, while senior Lane Carico served up a match-high four aces.

The second match of the tournament brought about much of the same from the Hurricanes. Miami cruised by Louisiana-Lafayette in straight sets, 25-19, 25-21 and 25-16, thanks in large part to a dominant performance by rightside Alex Johnson.

The sophomore recorded a career-high 17 kills in the Saturday afternoon contest, easily surpassing her previous career mark of 11.

Saturday evening, during the final match of the Tiger Classic, the ‘Canes took on tournament host LSU in what was a hard fought, five-set victory.

Miami opened up the contest by beating the Tigers in extra points 27-25, but lost the following two frames by scores of 25-13 and 25-16.

Down 2-1 and in danger of losing their first match of the season, the ‘Canes won a close fourth set 25-22 to even up the match against LSU 2-2. Miami went on to win the fifth and clinching set 15-8 in a dramatic end to a successful opening weekend for the Hurricanes.

“Tonight was a great experience because we had success and struggles, yet we were able to turn it around in the end for a victory on their home court,” head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch said to Hurricanessports.com.

Alex Johnson, who recorded 14 kills and 17 digs in the final match, left Baton Rouge with tournament MVP honors. Johnson tallied up double-doubles in both Saturday contests. She only had three such performances in all of 2010.

Miami will next travel to Malibu, Calif., to compete in the Pepperdine Asics Classic. The tournament includes competition such as the SEC’s Georgia Bulldogs.

Miami will hold its season opener the following weekend as the hosts of the annual Hurricane Invitational.

Adam Berger

Staff Sports Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Extremely involved and passionate about UM, she served as a trustee for 21 years, beginning in 1997. ...

The University of Miami’s emergency management team is working to create a disaster resilient Univer ...

University of Miami Police and the Department of Parking and Transportation provide various services ...

The number of students applying for Study Abroad has increased dramatically, with Europe being the m ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...