8/29: Sports Briefs

Volleyball

After opening the season with three straight wins against Jacksonville State, Louisiana-Lafayette and LSU, the Canes volleyball team will hit the road once again for the Pepperdine Asics Classic next week in Malibu, Calif. There, they will face off against UC Santa Barbara, Georgia and Pepperdine. The team will return to Coral Gables for their first home game of the season on Sept. 8 against Florida A&M.

Senior Lane Carico is one of 30 student-athletes to have been nominated for the 2011 Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award. The award goes out to an NCAA athlete who is a senior and exemplifies excellence in the community, classroom, overall character and competition. Carico went into the 2011 season looking to break the school record for kills, which is held by Karla Johnson.

Football

Category 5 has announced that it will be sponsoring an away trip for the UM-FSU game taking place on Nov. 12. Registration for the trip is done online and does not guarantee a spot on the trip. Students have until Sept. 11 at 11:59 p.m. to register, with winners and alternates being chosen and notified on Sept. 12. To register, visit the Category 5 page at miami.edu.

Soccer

The Canes soccer team got off to a quick start, scoring their first goal against Utah Valley just 52 seconds into the match. They never looked back and came away with a 4-1 victory on Sunday afternoon. That followed a 1-0 win against BYU on Friday. The team will now have a week off before returning home to face Duquesne on Sunday. The game will be at Cobb Stadium at 1 p.m.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...