8/29: Sports Briefs

Volleyball

After opening the season with three straight wins against Jacksonville State, Louisiana-Lafayette and LSU, the Canes volleyball team will hit the road once again for the Pepperdine Asics Classic next week in Malibu, Calif. There, they will face off against UC Santa Barbara, Georgia and Pepperdine. The team will return to Coral Gables for their first home game of the season on Sept. 8 against Florida A&M.

Senior Lane Carico is one of 30 student-athletes to have been nominated for the 2011 Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award. The award goes out to an NCAA athlete who is a senior and exemplifies excellence in the community, classroom, overall character and competition. Carico went into the 2011 season looking to break the school record for kills, which is held by Karla Johnson.

Football

Category 5 has announced that it will be sponsoring an away trip for the UM-FSU game taking place on Nov. 12. Registration for the trip is done online and does not guarantee a spot on the trip. Students have until Sept. 11 at 11:59 p.m. to register, with winners and alternates being chosen and notified on Sept. 12. To register, visit the Category 5 page at miami.edu.

Soccer

The Canes soccer team got off to a quick start, scoring their first goal against Utah Valley just 52 seconds into the match. They never looked back and came away with a 4-1 victory on Sunday afternoon. That followed a 1-0 win against BYU on Friday. The team will now have a week off before returning home to face Duquesne on Sunday. The game will be at Cobb Stadium at 1 p.m.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The 2019 Miami Hurricanes coaching staff is now in place and ready to rumble. Though the Hurricanes ...

The last time Tyree St. Louis played something other than tackle, by coincidence, was the last time ...

Manny Diaz might as well have been the head of the National Weather Service on Tuesday. At 7:27 p.m. ...

Even after landing Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, the Hurricanes aren’t done looking for quarterb ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

The singer, songwriter, actress, and entrepreneur will share insights and advice from her more than ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

The Miami women's basketball team earned its first victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium with a 58- ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...