8/29: Sports Briefs

Volleyball

After opening the season with three straight wins against Jacksonville State, Louisiana-Lafayette and LSU, the Canes volleyball team will hit the road once again for the Pepperdine Asics Classic next week in Malibu, Calif. There, they will face off against UC Santa Barbara, Georgia and Pepperdine. The team will return to Coral Gables for their first home game of the season on Sept. 8 against Florida A&M.

Senior Lane Carico is one of 30 student-athletes to have been nominated for the 2011 Lowe’s Senior CLASS Award. The award goes out to an NCAA athlete who is a senior and exemplifies excellence in the community, classroom, overall character and competition. Carico went into the 2011 season looking to break the school record for kills, which is held by Karla Johnson.

Football

Category 5 has announced that it will be sponsoring an away trip for the UM-FSU game taking place on Nov. 12. Registration for the trip is done online and does not guarantee a spot on the trip. Students have until Sept. 11 at 11:59 p.m. to register, with winners and alternates being chosen and notified on Sept. 12. To register, visit the Category 5 page at miami.edu.

Soccer

The Canes soccer team got off to a quick start, scoring their first goal against Utah Valley just 52 seconds into the match. They never looked back and came away with a 4-1 victory on Sunday afternoon. That followed a 1-0 win against BYU on Friday. The team will now have a week off before returning home to face Duquesne on Sunday. The game will be at Cobb Stadium at 1 p.m.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...