New director takes the lead at the Butler Center

Adrianne D'Angelo//The Miami Hurricane

Hailing from Seward, Neb., where he and his family resided on five acres of land, Andrew Wiemer is not just a “small town farm boy,” but the new director of The William R. Butler Center for Volunteer Service and Leadership Development.

Don’t be fooled by his small town origins, Wiemer claims to have always had the “heart of a city guy…[who]love[s]being in a place with a culture of diversity, where all languages are spoken.”
Not only does he love big, culturally diverse cities, he also has big plans for the Butler center.
“I want to make us visible to the whole campus community,” said Wiemer.
Additionally, Wiemer hopes to improve the Butler Center its visibility by “gaining student feedback, increasing overall student volunteerism, and raising awareness of the Butler center’s services.”
He is aware that these goals don’t happen overnight, but he is working on them diligently while also coordinating and planning future events. Despite long-term goals and a clear vision of the future, his daily work is not as outlined as his tasks and goals are.
“Every day is different in its own unique way, but I enjoy it,” said Wiemer.
From his high school days through graduate school, Wiemer has always been community oriented through his nonprofit organizations and his work as a resident assistant at Doane College in Nebraska. With his experiences, Wiemer hopes to instill his civic mind to all the students of the university.
“You must understand all the issues that surround that community and how can one make an impact on the community as an active citizen and leader,” said Wiemer. “This is how you get a first hand look of how the community works to grow and become a leader.”
As a new leader in the UM community, Wiemer hopes to fully involve himself through charity and to experience the vibrant culture of this metropolis.
“My first time in Miami was for the interview,” said Wiemer.
He hopes to get a taste of the food, art, music and entertainment, and spend time buying some more Express clothing due to his self-proclaimed addiction.

Juan Pellerano

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...