Miami Spice brings out inner foodie

Thai Lounge offers sushi rolls for food connoisseurs. Photo by Aisha Moktadier//The Miami Hurricane

Filet mignon with creamy béarnaise sauce, seared red snapper with a leek ragout, lavender crème brûlée and chocolate soufflé grace the tables of the most sophisticated restaurants in Miami.
For the average college student, the thought of a gourmet dinner is like experiencing  a decadent food pornography that only happens a couple of times a year.  Now, students have the opportunity to experience their own food orgasm from August to September, as the city of Miami is celebrating Miami Spice.

Miami Spice is the annual event that celebrates restaurants and their distinct flavors.

The appetizing event is organized by the Greater Miami Convention & Visitors Bureau and the restaurants are grouped into four districts. The program offers three-course, fixed-price meals at some of Miami’s best restaurants in South Beach, Midtown, Coral Gables and Coconut Grove.

This year is the event’s 10th anniversary and will be more exciting than ever with 142 restaurants participating, according to Jennifer Diaz, associate vice president of media relations and promotions for the bureau.

“Miami Spice is an excellent opportunity to venture out and explore a new culinary experience with minimal risk because of the discounted rate,” Diaz said. “The program makes a foodie out of anyone.”

Senior Sabrina Ginete went to El Gran Inka in Brickell last week with friends for dinner. She said the menu was amazing.

“It’s nice for an average college student, who’s a little broke, to experience fine dining,” Ginette said.

The Miami Spice menu is only $22 for lunch and $35 for dinner, perfect for students with tight budgets. A word of caution – not all restaurants participate for both meals or include weekends. Explore the extensive website of restaurants and menus to find what your taste buds are craving before you go.

“I think it’s a great opportunity to try different restaurants,” senior Asha Agrawal said. “Since they have the restaurant list, I’m more likely to try a restaurant I wouldn’t have known about.”

With over 100 restaurants participating this year, from steak houses to sushi restaurants to tapas bars, The Miami Hurricane found some sure bets for a great meal.

The Royal at the Raleigh Hotel- The Royal serves up American fare with elegant presentation. Miami Spice diners can sample duck breast with morels while overlooking the Raleigh’s baroque pool. The Royal is participating weekdays for lunch. The special dinner menu is available Sunday through Thursday.

1775 Collins Ave., Miami Beach. 305-612-1163

Mercadito Midtown- Mercadito’s Miami Spice menu is perfect for groups. Diners choose different tacos, ceviches, guacamole and desserts for the table while those over 21 sip an included cocktail. The lunch and dinner menus are the same, so go midday for ultimate savings. The Miami Spice menu is available weekdays for lunch and every day for dinner.

3252 NE 1st Ave., Midtown. 786-369-0430

Red Koi Thai and Sushi Lounge- Red Koi is located on Miracle Mile and is known for its Asian fusion and specialty sushi rolls. Miami Spice diners can choose from lemongrass chicken and short ribs of the Havana roll for their main course. The menu is available for lunch and dinner Sunday through Thursday.

317 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables. 305-446-2690

Shula’s 347 Grill- This restaurant is perfect for freshman since it’s walking distance from campus. A 12-ounce flatiron steak with chimichurri is on the menu along with grilled salmon and tenderloin tips; dessert includes cheesecake or key lime pie. The Miami Spice menu is available for both lunch and dinner weekdays.

6901 Red Road, Coral Gables. 305-665-9661

Nancy Oben

Contributing Writer

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...