Football, Sports

Linebackers become unified force

Sun Life Stadium, Miami Gardens, FL. Nov 6, 2010. Linebacker Sean Spence (31); defensive lineman Adewale Ojomo (97) and defensive back Ryan Hill (13) celebrate during the first quarter of the University of Miami's homecoming football game against the University of Maryland. Miami ended up winning the game 26-20. Photo by Jessica Hodder

The unquestioned general on the field. He’s the one the team counts on to analyze the opposition, change the play based on he sees, and make sure that everyone on his end is in the right spot, all in a matter of seconds.

Though this description seems to incorporate everything necessary in a starting quarterback, on the other side of the ball the linebacker unit is charged with holding up those same responsibilities. With Miami’s history of producing several NFL-caliber linebackers over the years, the position will once again be expected to be a major contributor once the games begin.

Leading the core group of linebackers is senior Sean Spence, who is the team’s unquestioned defensive leader after deciding to return for his senior season. A second team All-ACC selection and team co-MVP last year, Spence ended last year ranked second on the team and fifth in the ACC with 111 tackles.

“I’m very comfortable. I feel like I know the playbook,” he said during a morning practice. “Guys on the defense are looking for me to make the right checks and calls and what we need in a certain situation.”

Though Spence went into camp almost assured a starting position, the university has reportedly ruled him as one of eight players currently ineligible to play due to the recent scandal surrounding the team. Although the team has asked the NCAA to expedite the process to see if he and the other seven players will be allowed to take the field, in case he is not, the players behind him are ready to carry their share of the load.

Sophomore Jimmy Gaines, who came into camp battling with senior Jordan Futch for the middle linebacker spot, has impressed players and coaches throughout camp and has all but won the battle for the position already.

“I’ve been working extremely hard every day,” he said. “Out there, competing against Jordan Futch and Gionni Paul, I’m out there competing against those guys and just trying to help this team make everybody better the best way I know how.”

With Gaines solidifying the middle position, Futch will likely be moved behind Spence at weakside linebacker. Still, if the NCAA upholds Spence’s ineligibility, Futch will be the one called upon to fill the void.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...