8/29 – news briefs

Get a chance to be Sebastian the Ibis 

Full-time students, not including athletes, have the chance to get on the field. Auditions will be held for a new mascot. If interested, attend the information session on Sept. 22 at 6 p.m. in UC 211. For more information, email Connie Nickel at cnickel@miami.edu.

Become a Peace Corps volunteer 

The Peace Corps will host a career fair and returned-volunteer panel on Sept. 7 for their 50th anniversary. The event will take place at the BankUnited Center’s Fieldhouse. The “Making A Difference” Career Fair is from 4 to 6 p.m., and the panel will be from 6 to 7:30 p.m. RSVP by Thursday to eventsmanagement@miami.edu or call 305-284-6486.

Cooking Classes

Learn how to create cuisines from around the world at the Wellness Center this semester. Each class focuses on a specific taste; for example, September’s classes include “Peruvian Cuisine” and “Cucina Italiana.” The classes will be held from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the Wellness Enrichment Suite on the second floor. It is encouraged that those interested pre-register in person at the Wellness Suite or by calling 305-284-LIFE, ext. 5433. Prices vary for each class.

Writing contest offers free Kindle 

The Lowe Art Museum is holding a writing contest for the current exhibition, “Sacred Stories, Timeless Tales: Mythic Traditions in World Art.” Create an original story or poem inspired by one of the works. The winning entries will be posted on the Lowe’s website and the author will win a Kindle e-reader. The deadline for submission is Oct. 4. Entries should be emailed to lamedu@miami.edu. The Lowe offers free admission to UM students. For more information, email Jodi Sypher, curator of education, at jsypher@miami.edu.

Chelsea Kimmey may be contacted at ckimmey@themiamihurricane.com.

Chelsea Kimmey

Assistant News Editor

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...