8/29 – news briefs

Get a chance to be Sebastian the Ibis 

Full-time students, not including athletes, have the chance to get on the field. Auditions will be held for a new mascot. If interested, attend the information session on Sept. 22 at 6 p.m. in UC 211. For more information, email Connie Nickel at cnickel@miami.edu.

Become a Peace Corps volunteer 

The Peace Corps will host a career fair and returned-volunteer panel on Sept. 7 for their 50th anniversary. The event will take place at the BankUnited Center’s Fieldhouse. The “Making A Difference” Career Fair is from 4 to 6 p.m., and the panel will be from 6 to 7:30 p.m. RSVP by Thursday to eventsmanagement@miami.edu or call 305-284-6486.

Cooking Classes

Learn how to create cuisines from around the world at the Wellness Center this semester. Each class focuses on a specific taste; for example, September’s classes include “Peruvian Cuisine” and “Cucina Italiana.” The classes will be held from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the Wellness Enrichment Suite on the second floor. It is encouraged that those interested pre-register in person at the Wellness Suite or by calling 305-284-LIFE, ext. 5433. Prices vary for each class.

Writing contest offers free Kindle 

The Lowe Art Museum is holding a writing contest for the current exhibition, “Sacred Stories, Timeless Tales: Mythic Traditions in World Art.” Create an original story or poem inspired by one of the works. The winning entries will be posted on the Lowe’s website and the author will win a Kindle e-reader. The deadline for submission is Oct. 4. Entries should be emailed to lamedu@miami.edu. The Lowe offers free admission to UM students. For more information, email Jodi Sypher, curator of education, at jsypher@miami.edu.

Chelsea Kimmey may be contacted at ckimmey@themiamihurricane.com.

Chelsea Kimmey

Assistant News Editor

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...