8/29 – news briefs

Get a chance to be Sebastian the Ibis 

Full-time students, not including athletes, have the chance to get on the field. Auditions will be held for a new mascot. If interested, attend the information session on Sept. 22 at 6 p.m. in UC 211. For more information, email Connie Nickel at cnickel@miami.edu.

Become a Peace Corps volunteer 

The Peace Corps will host a career fair and returned-volunteer panel on Sept. 7 for their 50th anniversary. The event will take place at the BankUnited Center’s Fieldhouse. The “Making A Difference” Career Fair is from 4 to 6 p.m., and the panel will be from 6 to 7:30 p.m. RSVP by Thursday to eventsmanagement@miami.edu or call 305-284-6486.

Cooking Classes

Learn how to create cuisines from around the world at the Wellness Center this semester. Each class focuses on a specific taste; for example, September’s classes include “Peruvian Cuisine” and “Cucina Italiana.” The classes will be held from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the Wellness Enrichment Suite on the second floor. It is encouraged that those interested pre-register in person at the Wellness Suite or by calling 305-284-LIFE, ext. 5433. Prices vary for each class.

Writing contest offers free Kindle 

The Lowe Art Museum is holding a writing contest for the current exhibition, “Sacred Stories, Timeless Tales: Mythic Traditions in World Art.” Create an original story or poem inspired by one of the works. The winning entries will be posted on the Lowe’s website and the author will win a Kindle e-reader. The deadline for submission is Oct. 4. Entries should be emailed to lamedu@miami.edu. The Lowe offers free admission to UM students. For more information, email Jodi Sypher, curator of education, at jsypher@miami.edu.

Chelsea Kimmey may be contacted at ckimmey@themiamihurricane.com.

Chelsea Kimmey

Assistant News Editor

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...