8/29 – news briefs

Get a chance to be Sebastian the Ibis 

Full-time students, not including athletes, have the chance to get on the field. Auditions will be held for a new mascot. If interested, attend the information session on Sept. 22 at 6 p.m. in UC 211. For more information, email Connie Nickel at cnickel@miami.edu.

Become a Peace Corps volunteer 

The Peace Corps will host a career fair and returned-volunteer panel on Sept. 7 for their 50th anniversary. The event will take place at the BankUnited Center’s Fieldhouse. The “Making A Difference” Career Fair is from 4 to 6 p.m., and the panel will be from 6 to 7:30 p.m. RSVP by Thursday to eventsmanagement@miami.edu or call 305-284-6486.

Cooking Classes

Learn how to create cuisines from around the world at the Wellness Center this semester. Each class focuses on a specific taste; for example, September’s classes include “Peruvian Cuisine” and “Cucina Italiana.” The classes will be held from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. in the Wellness Enrichment Suite on the second floor. It is encouraged that those interested pre-register in person at the Wellness Suite or by calling 305-284-LIFE, ext. 5433. Prices vary for each class.

Writing contest offers free Kindle 

The Lowe Art Museum is holding a writing contest for the current exhibition, “Sacred Stories, Timeless Tales: Mythic Traditions in World Art.” Create an original story or poem inspired by one of the works. The winning entries will be posted on the Lowe’s website and the author will win a Kindle e-reader. The deadline for submission is Oct. 4. Entries should be emailed to lamedu@miami.edu. The Lowe offers free admission to UM students. For more information, email Jodi Sypher, curator of education, at jsypher@miami.edu.

Chelsea Kimmey may be contacted at ckimmey@themiamihurricane.com.

Chelsea Kimmey

Assistant News Editor

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...