Speaker encourages students for success

B

Courtesy University of Miami

According to Carl Schramm, CEO and president of the Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, the solution to today’s troubled economy is students.

“You are being baptized by today’s troublesome times,” Schramm said during his speech. “You are going to change the society by inventing something and starting a business.”

Schramm spoke last Friday at the New Student Convocation, which was attended by incoming freshman, their families and other members of UM’s community.

“We have to invent a new economy because one thing separates us from the rest of the world – we want growth,” Schramm said.

The Kauffman Foundation is a non-profit association that promotes entrepreneurship and innovative thinking. They provided the initial grant for The Launch Pad and introduced the university to the Blackstone Foundation, which allowed The Launch Pad to become a model for a national job creation initiative.

“[UM] is the launch pad of The Launch Pad movement across America,” Schramm said. “We say make a job, don’t take a job.”

He emphasized economic growth for the sake of “human welfare.”

“Our duty as citizens is to make sure that we have wealth to ensure that human welfare is constantly expanded,” he said.

Though his speech was aimed at freshmen, much of it was applicable to the entire student body.

“You are in charge,” he said. “You can’t look to teachers, the government or big corporations for the map to your life. This is on your shoulders.”

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...