Plan ahead to make it to class on time

August is here. You know what that means. Back to waking up early, studying, teachers and homework. The first day of school, for some, was full of excitement and nerves, but others saw it just as an interruption of their sleep. Gone, for now, are the days of going to bed at 2 a.m. and waking up at noon the next day, randomly meeting up with your friends and being carefree with no schedule to follow. After three months of lax behavior, getting back into the rhythm of school is no joke.  It is going to be a lot of work.
First, you should know what type of sleeper you are. If you tend to hit snooze on the alarm, it may be a good idea to put the alarm somewhere you can’t reach while lying in bed. If you tend to ignore your alarm altogether, then try setting more than one alarm.  If this doesn’t help, try asking your roommate to wake you up. At times, everyone oversleeps and ends up running late. It’s just a part of life, but if you know that you’re more likely to be late than on time, maybe it would be in your best interest to set your alarm clock or watch fast. That will buy you more time and hopefully you’ll make it to class on time.

The biggest hassle every morning is deciding what to wear for the day. Everyone wants to look good and make a good first impression. In order to avoid rushing in the morning, why not lay out your clothes the night before? In the morning, you’ll only have to worry about hair, makeup and accessories. It’s a win-win; you get the look you want without having to rush, especially if you have an 8 a.m. class on the other side of campus.

UM’s campus is pretty big and can be confusing for new students. Once you get your schedule, take some time to walk around and find where your classes are. That way, you have an idea of where you need to go and you’re less likely to be wandering around lost the first week of school. No one wants to look like a deer in the headlights (though it is bound to happen at least once), but if you ask someone for help, they will most likely be able to point you in the right direction.

The most important thing to remember: work first, party later. There will always be parties, but only one opportunity to make a good first impression.

Taylor Duckett

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...