News Briefs: 8/25

Open Positions Now Available

COSO

The Committee On Student Organizations (COSO) is accepting applications for Organization Registration Coordinator, Marketing Coordinator, Constitutional Review, Member at Large and Freshman Member at Large. COSO assists all student organizations, and hosts large events like Canefest and the spring involvement fair. Applications are available at the Smith Tucker Involvement Center (STIC), in UC 209, and are due Sept. 9 at 5 p.m. in the same location. For more information, contact Coral Millican at COSO_chair@miami.edu.

SAFAC

Freshmen and sophomore delegate positions are now open on the Student Activity Fee Allocation Committee (SAFAC). SAFAC is responsible for determining how much funding is awarded to each registered student organization. To apply, contact the SAFAC Chair Phil Sookram at safac@miami.edu, or visit miami.edu/student-activities.

HEC

The Homecoming Executive Committee (HEC) is seeking transfer and freshmen students to help with this year’s homecoming festivities. Members are required to plan and attend the events. For more information, visit miami.edu/homecoming.

Jonathan Borge may be contacted at jborge@themiamihurricane.com.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...