UM president remains future-oriented

With a decade of service under her belt, UM President Donna E. Shalala sat down with The Miami Hurricane to discuss her time at UM and where she hopes to take the university in the future.

When she first arrived at UM, the college lacked the “feel of a real residential college.”

“It seemed to me that UM students, paying an enormous amount of money, deserved a place that felt like a college campus,” Shalala said. “I wanted people to hang out, that’s why every year we have done something to improve the ability of students to spend all day here.”

Among the many changes she implemented, Shalala added five minutes between classes, lengthened the Richter’s hours of operation, placed chairs and tables across campus and invited speakers to entertain students. This year, she plans to focus on improving the late night experience.

“Every year we have tried to do something that would improve the livability and improve the campus experience and the intensity of that experience,” Shalala said.

Despite the recent NCAA allegations, Shalala plans to remain at the helm of University of Miami “for a long time” and will spearhead the next capital fund drive.

Although it is still in the silent period, Shalala said the campaign will be announced publicly in January.

“How much it will be, we haven’t set the amount with the trustees, but it will be over a billion dollars,” she said.

UM last capital campaign, which ended in 2008, raised more than $1.4 billion – making the school the first in Florida to surpass the billion-dollar mark.

Alexa Lopez

Editor-in-chief

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...