Staff editorial: 10 things I wish I knew when I was a freshman

When a freshman sets foot on UM’s campus for the first time, he or she may feel a bit lost and adrift. There’s so much you don’t know, and a lot to learn. If you’re a freshman, you can rest a little easier; we’ve come to your rescue with some vital information we wish we’d known during our freshman years.

#1 – Laundry in the dorms: Be on time to get your stuff from the washer and dryer, or else.

#2 – You can sleep until 10:15 a.m. and make it to a 10:30 a.m. class.

#3 – Study spots to avoid:
Your dorm (including the study rooms, because there are always drunk people roaming around the hallways)
– The first floor of the library:
It’s called “Club Richter” for a reason.

#4 – Can’t make it to a party?  You’re not missing out. You may think you are at the time, but there is ALWAYS another party. And you can turn anything into a beer pong table.

#5 – Your best guy/girl friend can turn out to be your boy/girl friend.

#6 – Commuters: locate all the microwaves on campus. They will be your best friend when you’re trying to save money by packing lunches.

#7 – A quick 20-minute workout does wonders to beat stress and make you feel more energized.

#8 – Avoid the cross-campus sprint when you forget to print! Always note where the nearest printers are, according to where your classes are.  And yes, you can go into schools and colleges you don’t belong to. No one is going to yell and you or kick you out.

#9 – Enjoy your blank slate: Don’t be afraid to do something completely out of character, make a fool of yourself or try something new.

#10 – Senior year comes by fast. Take advantage of everything Miami has to offer.  Ultra, sporting events, etc. After all, you’re only young once!

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...